Wedfuntoday is a series of websites that are named by adding some prefix, “Wedfuntoday”, a number, and “.live” – for example, play202.wedfuntoday11.live. These sites exist purely to sell junkware by tricking people that the software they offer can save their Mac from a virus.
Wedfuntoday Virus Alerts quicklinks
Wedfuntoday is only a single example of this type of malicious website, and together with FunnyMonday, Wedyoulife, Checkingforward, and a ton of similar sites, they’re a serious threat to people’s Macs and their wallets. These sites spread programs like Cleanup My Mac and Smart Mac Booster – known fake optimizers that prey on Mac users, trying to sell them fake tech support. Wedfuntoday is, of course, meant to make some fraudsters richer.
Wedfuntoday is a malicious site and nothing good can come from taking its warnings seriously:
|Type of threat||
|Dangers of Wedfuntoday alerts||
|Prevent malicious pop-ups||
|Remove Wedfuntoday pop-ups||
The Wedfuntoday sites show fake virus alerts when you visit them. This does not mean that your computer is actually infected, but it also does not mean that it’s clean. Wedfuntoday has no idea because it’s a website that’s performing a set routine. It always finds the same problems and recommends the same solution to any Mac that ends up on the page – it’s a fake online virus scan.
Everyone is aware of the problem of fake virus warnings, in fact, Apple warns its users about it. But it isn’t easy to stop such sites – criminals keep coming up with new and better ways to get around security software. Still, there are definitely ways to improve your security.
How to avoid fake virus alerts
The first thing to do when you see Wedfuntoday is to close the browser tab (the keyboard shortcut is Cmd+W). Just ignore this site, as well as any other page that claims to detect a virus on your computer. This is not how Apple or any professional security software would warn you.
To know how to avoid Wedfuntoday pop-ups, it’s important to know how they appear. And one of the most common ways is to redirect you from infected websites and using malicious ads. Websites can recognize your operating system, its version, your browser, your IP. Malicious actors can infect sites to redirect potential victims and they can consider these aspects to decide where to direct you to. Vulnerable computers are sent to a malware-distributing website, like Wedfuntoday.
When innocent websites can be hijacked by criminals, it’s difficult to avoid malvertising – you never know when clicking on a link could open Wedfuntoday. Infected ads don’t appear shady at all, or they might be triggered despite you never intentionally clicking on them. Old and abandoned sites, free streaming, filesharing, pirating sites spread malvertising especially often, but almost any site can be vulnerable. For example, be careful of unknown shortened links because you don’t know where they lead and they’re used a lot to spread malware.
To prevent malicious sites like Wedfuntoday from loading, a good solution is an ad-blocker, or maybe an anti-malware tool that has this feature. While it takes time for new malicious sites to be discovered and blocked, you will still be spared a lot of dangerous content.
If the pop-ups are recurring, you can’t avoid them so easily. There is the possibility that an adware infection is responsible (an antivirus program would help with that), or that your browser got infected. Luckily, it’s possible to remove this annoying Wedfuntoday infection without too much trouble.
How to stop Wedfuntoday redirects
You might want to turn off the internet so that the pop-ups can’t appear anymore. Wedfuntoday is a website, after all, and needs the internet connection to appear. Then you can clear your browser data and history – these options are included in browser settings. This might require you to later re-login to some accounts, though.
It might be useful to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Combo Cleaner, to check if malicious applications or files are in your system. Oh, and if you ended up installing the version of Advanced Mac Cleaner that Wedfuntoday was distributing, you would definitely benefit from a security scan because PCVARK’s software cannot be trusted.
Automatic Malware removal tools
TopHow To remove Wedfuntoday Virus Alerts from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Wedfuntoday Virus Alerts, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How to remove Wedfuntoday Virus Alerts from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Wedfuntoday Virus Alerts and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.