Hao123 toolbar - How to remove?
Hao123 toolbar is a browser hijacker. It can be installed together with freeware or shareware applications. Once it is in your computer, you will see it the same moment because Hao123 makes visible changes. First of all your home page and your search pages will be changed to its own. Each search you will do from address bar or search box will cause you to use Hao123 website.
Although Hao123 toolbar might be quite irritating for some of us, it is not highly dangerous. This browser hijacker does not install additional malware to computer. Alas it is quite tricky to get rid of it. A simple uninstall procedure is not enough since some of its settings stay in the system and continue to redirect a user to unwanted web pages.
If you have problems getting rid of Hao123 toolbar, cannot reset web browser‘s default settings, such as search engine and home page, we recommend to complete step by step removal instructions:
How to remove Hao123 toolbar from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click on Change search defaults;
- Remove Hao123 toolbar from the list.
How to remove Hao123 toolbar from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How to remove Hao123 toolbar from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Hao123 toolbar from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on the browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list;
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose ‘Open blank page’ (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too);
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.