Genieo Search is a browser hijacker that is distributed to random computer systems bundled with free applications from the Internet. Once inside, the program changes your default search engine and homepage to search.genieo.com. The problem with this website is that is doesn’t provide good search results as it includes tons of sponsored links. This way the program seeks to increase traffic to certain pages. However, it brings many inconveniences for the user.
Genieo Search quicklinks
- How Genieo Search spreads
- Problems with Genieo Search
- Remove Genieo Search
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Remove Genieo Search from your browser
- How to remove Genieo Search using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove Genieo Search from macOS
That’s not the worst of it, too. Besides acting like adware, Genieo Search’s distribution methods are dubious.
This and the other applications by the developer have been caught using fake update alerts to get installed — and even leaving behind software when being removed from a computer. In fact, some of the uninstallers were intentionally leaving unwanted programs behind.
Genieo Search is considered to be malware by many security companies — it has caused problems for both Mac and Windows users. This application appears out of nowhere, shows a ton of ads, then refuses to be removed normally. It does not have the user’s interests in mind.
Genieo Search, because of all the issues, should be removed:
How Genieo Search spreads
If you want to avoid installing programs like Genieo Search, you should be very careful about your downloads from the Internet. Often, the program that you downloaded from a program download site is bundled with some unwanted software, often various browser extensions. At one of the steps of the installation you are able to choose which additional programs to install. You are highly advised to deselect any unknown applications in order to avoid problems. Check your installations, too, because sometimes user choice is ignored and the optional programs are installed anyway.
But bundling is innocent compared to some other ways that Genieo Search uses to infiltrate people’s computers. Fake media player, codec updates were used to trick people to install unwanted browser add-ons without their consent.
Misleading ads are another strategy used, such as webpages with vague design that easily mislead some people into thinking that they’re downloading not Genieo Search, but something else entirely; think of all the ads that are made to look like download buttons on download sites — it’s easy to click the wrong one.
So, avoiding Genieo Search might not always be easy. You can only be ultra-careful when on the internet, watch out for fake alerts, and check your computer for adware.
Problems with Genieo Search
Stealthy, deceitful installation is needed because Genieo Search doesn’t offer anything attractive to any users so nobody would install it voluntarily. But the malicious behavior doesn’t end here. Browser add-ons can get access to the data on each website you visit, which is why it’s important to trust the developers of each add-on that you install — they could easily collect and give away your data.
Genieo Search records your browsing activities and can get access to your usernames and passwords, as well as your browsing history. This data can be sent to the third parties where the information can be used for marketing purposes — Genieo Search can inject ads into websites, it can actually change how those sites are displayed and mess up the layout, or cover the content with its own ads.
What poses a risk to your security is lots of redirections that can bring you to infected websites where you can get more serious threats installed to your computer, like serious malware programs. And besides malware, there are many scams and false information being shared by bad ads that could cause measurable harm.
It is recommended to remove Genieo Search from your computer as soon as you detect its traces on your system.
Remove Genieo Search
To remove Genieo Search, multiple steps need to be taken — as always, the infection of one threat implies that other malware might be on your computer, so it’s advisable to scan it thoroughly.
First, though, you can remove suspicious programs manually. Go to the Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there, if you’re on Windows. If you’re using a Mac, go to the Applications folder and drag suspicious app bundles to the Trash (you probably don’t want to use Genieo Search’s uninstaller since, in the past, they’ve been found intentionally leaving behind unwanted programs).
It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with for Windows or Combo Cleaner for Mac as they identify such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Remove Genieo Search from your browser
How to remove Genieo Search using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Genieo Search install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Genieo Search . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Genieo Search easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove Genieo Search from macOSDelete Genieo Search from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the Genieo Search app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Genieo Search from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Genieo Search, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Genieo Search from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Genieo Search related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Genieo Search from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Genieo Search from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Genieo Search and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.