Omnibox.bar is a software developed by Innova Media. Its direct mission is to inject intrusive commercial ads into your browser without taking your personal opinion into consideration. The tool is also advertised as a helpful utility that may give you quick access to popular websites, such as Gmail, Amazon, Facebook, Youtube and so on.
Omnibox Bar Hijacker quicklinks
- How does Omnibox.bar modify your browser
- Omnibox.bar infiltration methods
- How to get rid of Omnibox.bar hijacker
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Omnibox.bar Browser Hijacker Removal
- How to remove Omnibox.bar using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove Omnibox.bar from macOS
Despite the described positive features of the app, Omnibox.bar functions as a typical browser hijacker that may force users to unintentionally install various toolbars, extensions and cause numerous redirection to random websites. Furthermore, the hijackers of such type may track your personal information and sooner or later submit this personal data to the advertisers in order to provide you with more relevant ads. However, what Omnibox.bar actually does is spying over your activities and thus violating the privacy issues. This brief information about the hijacker gives enough valid reasons to remove it as soon as possible.
How does Omnibox.bar modify your browser
Upon successful installation, Omnibox.bar modifies important browser settings without the user’s permission and gains full control over the default home page and search engine values. The victims are actually forced to start browsing through Omnibox.bar. When they attempt to open a new browser tab, the same page suddenly comes up. Finally, submitting the specific search queries through the hijacked browser will deliver the results through some other third-party search engines. The results will not be really relevant to the queries. Instead, the users may notice a lot of advertisement banners and sponsored links leading to third-party websites. This way the developers of the hijacker obtain the revenue on the pay-per-click basis. The more times you click on these ads, the more revenue is received. However, the users are not really satisfied with such unwanted browser alterations and want to get back to the initial settings. Nevertheless, the extension related to Omnibox.bar fully controls the browser parameters. Changing the default home page and search engine manually does not help. When the browser is restarted, Omnibox.bar still appears on the startup.
Browser hijackers similar to Omnibox.bar also may be involved in tracking the user’s browsing activities. This means that all the information you submit on the web is under the permanent inspection and analysis by the developers of the extension. The following personal data is being tracked:
- URLs of visited websites;
- IP addresses and geographical locations;
- search queries submitted through the browser;
- previous browsing history.
It is clear that submitting the search queries through your browser hijacked by Omnibox.bar is not really secure. All your browsing activities are being regularly tracked and collected. The information may be granted to third-party companies (potentially, online criminals) who may manipulate it for generating the revenue.
Omnibox.bar infiltration methods
The hijackers similar to Omnibox.bar are spread through different illegal ways. Their activation is done through installing the unwanted browser extension promoted through its official landing page, however, we really doubt that this was your personal decision. This is why the developers of the extension refer to the practice of bundling their tool with many other cost-free applications. You need to pay very close attention while installing free utilities, even when they are hosted on reliable download resources. It’s important that you pay attention to the EULAs (End User License Agreements) associated with free software. If you read the information about some extra programs you do not want, switch to the “Advanced” installation mode to uncheck such applications from being installed by default.
The fact that Omnibox.bar got installed through bundling with free software also means that your current anti-virus software failed to protect your system from unauthorized installations. We have to admit that there are some security programs today that claim to be effective in defending the systems, however, there are cases when they are not properly updated and allow injection of third-party applications like Omnibox.bar.
How to get rid of Omnibox.bar hijacker
Installation of Omnibox.bar through bundling with other application may also mean that your computer is also infected with other malicious tools or PUPs (potentially unwanted programs). We recommend that you carefully examine your available programs in the Control Panel and delete the items that look suspicious. If you see any strange programs with random names and you do not remember installing them directly, uninstall them right away.
Another important step to remove Omnibox.bar is to locate the extension related to Omnibox.bar. In Google Chrome, click on “More Tools”, then select “Extensions”. In Mozilla Firefox menu, click on “Add-ons”. Look for suspicious add-ons and delete them right away. Finally, we strongly advise you to scan the system with Spyhunter or Combo Cleaner that will help you remove other malware that may secretly remain in your system and cause other serious problems.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Omnibox.bar Browser Hijacker Removal
How to remove Omnibox.bar using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Omnibox.bar Hijacker install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Omnibox.bar . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Omnibox.bar Hijacker easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove Omnibox.bar from macOSDelete Omnibox.bar Hijacker from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the Omnibox.bar app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Omnibox.bar Hijacker from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Omnibox.bar Hijacker, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Omnibox.bar Hijacker from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Omnibox.bar Hijacker related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Omnibox.bar Hijacker from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Omnibox.bar Hijacker from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Omnibox.bar and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.