Search.clarobuscar.com is a browser hijacker released by the Airfind Corporation in May 2018. This virus’ purpose is a to modify the user’s default search engine settings and earn revenue from malvertising/increasing traffic to sponsored websites. Despite it sounding more annoying than vicious we must not forget that this type of virus is driven by the money and can always end up using other more sophisticated CyberCrime to increase the income.
This 2-viruses.com article will help you understand the basics of search.clarobuscar.com malware and provide helpful tips on how to delete it from your browser. Because search.clarobuscar.com is one of the least dangerous types of viruses it doesn’t mean that you should let it control your browser and steal personal data. Therefore without further ado let’s get straight to the point.
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- How to remove Clarobuscar using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove Clarobuscar from macOS
What is search.clarobuscar.com browser hijacker?
Browser hijackers are not the most profitable cyber threats because they get noticed by the victim pretty fast and are easy to remove, however Airfind corporation according to ZoomInfo.com has a revenue of $6.8 million dollars, which makes you wonder what tricks does it hide under the sleeve allowing to earn such money. While Airfind is a legitimate company, as they state, ‘generating revenue for mobile operators, publishers, mobile device manufacturers and advertisers by providing discovery and content monetization’, the ways it provides this service are not necessarily legal.
Search.Clarobuscar.com, just like the Search.my-search.online, Smartsrch.com, Search.swiftsearch.co and some other browser hijackers are the tools that in shady ways create the traffic, generate downloads and push the products/services of the sponsors to the unsuspecting users. These questionable methods include: getting into the victims’ computers and taking over the browser without the permission, redirecting, displaying ads, selling gathered personal data to the third parties, and etc.
The homepage of search.clarobuscar.com has the same identical simplistic design like the other browser hijackers, that doesn’t look suspicious or dangerous at all until you read the EULA, where the true colors come out:
We may now or in the future receive Personally Identifiable Information about you from third parties. We may use the Personally Identifiable Information we collect or receive to communicate directly with you. If you provide us with your phone number and contact names stored on your mobile device or tablet computer, we may store and use such Personally Identifiable Information for purposes of identifying and informing you of those contacts who have also registered to use the Services, along with such users full names and usernames. We may also send you emails containing newsletters, promotions and special offers.
Basically Airfind with the help of search.clarobuscar.com collects information about you which contains location, credentials, log file data, cookies and places web and device in your phone to track you not only through a computer. Moreover, they share the gathered statistics and data with unknown third-parties. The worst thing is that the third party can be anyone who pays enough for the Airfind to do the job.
How does the search.clarobuscar.com spread?
The infection with search.clarobuscar.com starts usually when you download the freeware/shareware programs which contain ClaroBuscar virus inside. This browser hijacker installs together with any of these programs so it won’t have to ask for a separate permission and you wouldn’t notice its existence before the setup is finalized. Search.clarobuscar.com can also sneak into your PC together with torrents and pics/videos/music you download from shady websites, as a malicious spam email attachment.
Clarobuscar installs as a browser add-on/extension and then connects to search.clarobuscar.com for final setup steps in the end hijacking browser’s settings making itself your default search engine. That’s why you start seeing search.clarobuscar.com instead of your usual Google, Yahoo, Duck Duck Go or etc. Most users try to fix such problem by resetting their default search engine, but as you might guess, without much luck since the virus set search.clarobuscar.com as your main choice.
As mentioned before, whenever you open your Chrome, Mozilla, Edge, Opera or Safari you will be seeing search.clarobuscar.com, which actually is not even a search engine itself, but just a mediator between the victim and the Bing, redirecting the user to Microsoft’s search engine instead. Then it becomes obvious that Bing is sponsoring the ClaroBuscar, just like many other companies whose ads you will start seeing if you continue using search.clarobuscar.com browsing hijacker.
Hopefully, now you understand why is it important to remove this search.clarobuscar.com virus. If you want to avoid your personal details being used for the wrong reasons without your permission, not let your search engine dictate your search results and activity, and to prevent further virus infections then please keep reading further.
What are the removal methods of search.clarobuscar.com?
As they say, prevention is better than a cure and same rule applies to IT world as well, so you might find Lifewire’s short guide on how to Prevent quite useful. Yet if you found yourself in the situation where you already have the search.clarobuscar.com virus then there are two methods you can use to eliminate it from your PC.
One of these methods is an automatic removal using or Malwarebytes anti-malware tools. We recommend these products because they are the most effective and easiest to use (you can read our review on Spyhunter here), but feel free to use any other. Follow the user’s guide and let the software scan the computer for malicious threats, then delete it as advised. Although you can experience a situation where the compromised browser won’t let you download any anti-spyware tool and you will have to try removing search.clarobuscar.com manually.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to remove Clarobuscar using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Search.clarobuscar.com install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Clarobuscar . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Search.clarobuscar.com easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove Clarobuscar from macOSDelete Search.clarobuscar.com from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the Clarobuscar app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Search.clarobuscar.com from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Search.clarobuscar.com, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Search.clarobuscar.com from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Search.clarobuscar.com related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Search.clarobuscar.com from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Search.clarobuscar.com from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Clarobuscar and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.