ZoneAlarm Search - How to remove?
ZoneAlarm Search is a browser hijacker that can be found added to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. It is not a virus, however, it uses unfair methods to get inside computers and for this reason it is considered to be a potentially unwanted program. The application changes your homepage and default search provider without your permission and makes some more modifications in your browser settings.
Zone Alarm Search is a search engine indeed. It is powered by google, but displays it’s own advertisements. We think it is put for making money alone and not for providing additional security for the PC user.
Most of the times Zone Alarm Search is installed to computers through Zone Alarm programs, namely antivirus and firewall. It is very important to pay attention to what you are installing and whether the programs you are downloading contain any additional applications. This way you can avoid many unwanted software.
If you want to remove ZoneAlarm Search go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see ZoneAlarm Search listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove ZoneAlarm Search from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).