How to remove Whitesmoke Toolbar
Whitesmoke is generally known as a translation software solution for high quality translations. It is based on advanced statistical machine translation technology. However, recently Whitesmoke toolbar is being installed to random computer systems without users’ knowledge and later on it leads to very annoying redirections, mainly to search.whitesmoke.com and some other websites.Whitesmoke changes your homepage and default search engine to search.whitesmoke.com despite what websites have been set in your browser before. This is first of all very annoying, especially if you are used to have specific ones that you use most often and so on.
Whitesmoke toolbar is listed as a Potentially Unwanted Product because it hijacks users’ searches by default. It tends to change search results and tries to install some malicious software that can lead to stealing money from you. It causes various pop up ads and once you click on them it can download some questionable software on your machine. The toolbar is made by Conduit, therefore the search function is redirected to their pages. They earn money for the advertisements displayed and additional software installed.
Malware creators often use the names of well known products to distribute their software. Whitesmoke toolbar is one of the examples. However, if you never downloaded Whitesmoke products, you shouldn’t have gotten their toolbars either. So if you found it on your computer out of nowhere and you constantly experience redirections and regularly receive various notification messages, you should definitely remove it.
How to uninstall Whitesmoke and stop the redirects
If you cannot find the uninstaller of Whitesmoke toolbar, we highly recommend changing your search page, search provider and then using a reliable anti-spyware program, such as Spyhunter or Spybot S&D. These programs can detect all questionable toolbars. Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. Scan with as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see WhiteSmoke Toolbar listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove WhiteSmoke Toolbar from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Whitesmoke Toolbar removal tools
Manual Whitesmoke Toolbar removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Whitesmoke Toolbar, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Whitesmoke Toolbar infected files and get help in Whitesmoke Toolbar removal by using Spyhunter scanner.