White Screen Virus - How to remove?
White Screen virus is an annoying program that has recently started scaring many computer users. Basically, it’s a huge white screen that appears on your computer out of nowhere and blocks all your programs. In fact, if you received this White Screen virus on your computer, it means that your system has been infected with one of ransomware Trojans, but for some reasons they do not work properly or do not work at all. You may have heard already about a bunch of FBI related ransomware programs that block computer systems claiming the users have violated law. Some popular ones are FBI MoneyPak virus, United Kingdom Police virus, The Cheshire Police Authority virus, Policia Federal Mexico Virus and many more. These programs attempt to make you pay a fine for certain law violations and get money this way.
The truth is, cyber criminals use the names of police institutions illegally. Both security experts and police are trying to protect computer users from being infected with these badware. Due to this it might be that servers hosting these ransomware programs are either closed by police or the viruses are replaced to some other location. For this reason some of the ransomware may not operate properly and computers that have been targeted, receive a White Screen instead of a regular fake message that these type of malware would display.
If your computer has been blocked and you cannot use any of your programs, it is very likely that White Screen virus is the reason of that. You must remove it from your computer once detected. Since the program blocks your system completely, removal of White Screen Virus might be a bit complicated. If you have access to other unaffected account on infected PCs, you should scan whole PC with anti-malware programs by logging in to it, e.g. use Spyhunter. This is by far the simplest way to remove parasite. System restore would be an option too but remember that restoring your PC to a previous date does not remove infection. You should also use computer security tools for its deletion. However, if you can’t do either of this, there are several more strategies. To determine which one you should use, do the following:
- Press F8
- Choose between safe modes in following order : Safe mode, Safe mode with networking and Safe mode with command prompt
Depending on outcome, use following guides :
If you can use Safe mode or Safe mode with networking
- Restart your computer; press F8 while it is restarting;
- Choose safe mode or safe mode with networking. If white screen is shown after safe mode started launching, remove the infection using safe mode with command prompt.
- Launch MSConfig;
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data;. Note, that these are typical locations for White Screen virus but some others might be used
- Restart the system once again.
- scan with http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe to identify White Screen Virus files and delete it.
Video for one of such ransomwares:
If you can use safe mode with command prompt
- Reboot PC in safe mode with command prompt.
- Run Regedit
- Search for WinLogon Entries. write down all files it references that are not explorer.exe or blank. Replace them with explorer.exe
- Search registry for White Screen Virus files and delete the registry keys referencing the files
- Try to reboot and scan with Spyhunter.
- If this fails, try doing system restore from safe mode with command prompt (rstrui.exe)