VegClass Ransomware - How To Remove?
VegClass ransomware or Vegclass@aol.com ransomware is another ransomware virus which makes the Internet users flee in terror. It is associated with Troldesh, a Russian file encryptor, which also appends .xtbl extension using GPG cryptography. These ransomwares (Shade family trojans) are at the top positions in the scale for dangerousness as they install other ransomwares into the system.
About VegClass ransomware
VegClass encoder is written in C++. It uses asymmetric encryption algorithm which means that it creates both: the encryption and the decryption keys. The encryption key is made public (RSA) and the decryption key (AES) is stored on C&C (Command and Control) servers located in the Tor network and managed by the cyber criminals. This ransomware appends .Vegclass@aol.com.xtbl extension to every encrypted filename. How_to_decrypt_your_files.txt file appears in every folder of encrypted files, How_to_decrypt_your_files.png replaces the desktop wallpaper. These files carry the ransom note which is very laconic though. It contains one of the contact e-mails: Vegclass@aol.com, Greebin@india.com, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and the demand for 3 encrypted files to be sent to the hackers. That is it. We may presume that the size of the ransom will depend on the files, to be more precise, how important they are to the victim. These cyber crooks may believe that you will send the most important files, for instance, your academic paper, banking account details (we would not recommend doing that), etc.
How is VegClass ransomware Distributed?
VegClass cryptomalware belongs to the category of trojan viruses. If a strange e-mail (either from an unspecified sender or from an ‘‘official’’ one) with an attachment (the malicious one) lands into the spam folder of your e-mail box, you can be pretty sure that it is the manifestation of VegClass ransomware. The other main method of its distribution is exploit kits, in particular, the Nuclear EK. If you happen to visit a compromised website (owned by hackers or legitimate but hacked), its malicious code exploits a vulnerability of the browser to secretly install the ransomware into the system. In the latter case, you have no control over the situation.
How to Decrypt Files Encrypted by VegClass ransomware?
Unfortunately, there are no decryption tools available to restore the corrupted data at the present moment. If you have backup, you can use it. If not, make a backup of your data in the future. At the moment you can try R-Studio, PhotoRecor other decryption tools. To remove this ransomware form the system employ complete security providers such as Reimage, SpyHunter, Malwarebytes or . Download them, install and regularly update. These security utilities will prevent any malware from encroaching on your computer. For manual removal follow the removal guide of VegClass ransomware below.
- About VegClass ransomware
- How is VegClass ransomware Distributed?
- How to Decrypt Files Encrypted by VegClass ransomware?
- Automatic VegClass ransomware removal tools
- How to recover VegClass ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- Step 2. Complete removal of VegClass ransomware
- Step 3. Restore VegClass ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover VegClass ransomware encrypted files
Automatic VegClass ransomware removal tools
How to recover VegClass ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before VegClass ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of VegClass ransomware
After restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Reimage and remove all malicious files related to VegClass ransomware. You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore VegClass ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
If you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually VegClass ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so.
Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer.a) Native Windows Previous Versions
Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer
It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover VegClass ransomware encrypted files
There are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download Data Recovery Pro (commercial)
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.
Note: In many cases it is impossible to restore data files affected by modern ransomware. Thus I recommend using decent cloud backup software as precaution. We recommend checking out Carbonite, BackBlaze, CrashPlan or Mozy Home.
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove VegClass ransomware, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Reimage or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.