Utorrent Toolbar - How to remove?
Utorrent Toolbar is a browser hijacker that comes to computers bundled with freeware applications. Once installed, it changes your search provider and homepage to search.conduit.com. You will also see a new toolbar added to your Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. If you want to avoid Utorrent Toolbar, you have to pay attention to your downloads and refuse installing any unknown applications that you are offered to install.
The program is using Conduit Search which includes many sponsored links to the searches you are trying to make. It also collects information about what you are searching and which websites you are visiting. This data is later sent to the third parties where it can be used for marketing purposes. Utorrent Toolbar is not a virus but because of the way it enters computers and the problems it causes, the program is categorized as unwanted.
If you homepage and defaults search engine was changed to search.conduit.com without your permission, it is very likely that you got Utorrent Toolbar or some other similar program, that is based on Conduit Search, installed to your system. If you haven;t installed it by yourself, security experts recommend to remove Utorrent Toolbar in order to avoid further annoying actions. Below we provide steps how to do that:
- Go to Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen’s bottom-left corner), choose Control Panel -> Programs:
- • For Windows Vista/7/8: click Uninstall a Program.
- • For Windows XP: click Add or Remove Programs.
- • Locate the program Utorrent Toolbar in the list, click on it once and:
- • For Windows Vista/7/8: click Uninstall.
- • For Windows XP: click the Remove or Change/Remove tab that is placed on the right of the program.
- • Follow the uninstall wizard. If it fails use Spyhunter for an automatic removal of Utorrent Toolbar.
You should also disable Utorrent Toolbar from browser extensions:
- For Internet Explorer: Go to “Tools” (or gear icon in Internet Explorer 9), -> “Manage Add-ons”. Look for Utorrent Toolbar and disable it.
- For Google Chrome: Click on the wrench or bars icon on the top right of the screen; go to “Tools”-> “Extensions”. If you see any extensions related to Utorrent Toolbar, click on a trash can icon next to them.
- For Mozilla Firefox: Go to “Tools” -> “Add-ons” -> “Extensions”. If you see any extensions related to Utorrent Toolbar, disable them.
If your home page was replaced with anything else, follow these instructions:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Utorrent Toolbar from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
If you have not scanned your computer using antimalware program, perform a full system scan after a manual removal is completed. Use Spyhunter. It will ensure that remaining entries of Utorrent Toolbar are deleted. If any other adware or browser hijackers were installed, the program will detect and remove them too.