Searchgol virus - How to remove?
Searchgol virus is a browser hijacker that attacks Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers without users’ knowledge. The program replaces your default search engine and start page with Searchgol.com website. This web page looks like a regular search engine, however, it doesn’t work as one. If you try making a search, you will see that the website includes plenty of commercial pages and often redirects you to sites which you never intended to visit.
Searchgol virus seeks to redirect traffic to specific websites and advertise them. However, it is a very unfair method that makes users experience many inconveniences. It is not only annoying because of the changes the browser hijacker makes in your computer, but also it considerably slows down your system. Morevoer, Searchgol virus can track what websites you are visiting and what your search queries are. All this data is sent to third parties and used for marketing purposes.
To avoid Searchgol virus, be careful when installing any free software. It usually comes bundled with various video players, PDF creators and other popular applications. Basically, you have to follow installation steps of these programs and you will be able to deselect option to install all unfamiliar applications.
To remove Searchgol virus, go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstalling it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well.
You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Searchgol.com listed, you should use antimalware tools like SpyHunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Searchgol.com from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).