Firefox redirect virus - How to remove?
What is Firefox redirect virus?
Firefox redirect virus is a group of problems that can be caused by group of malwares that infect this browser and misconfigures it in some cases. The issues range from hijacked start page, search engine provider or even search results in any page. Thus Firefox redirect Virus is highly annoying issue. For the malware makers, this is a chance to get advertising money or sell sites that gain popularity that way.
- After installing a wanted software it might change the search provider;
- After installing software bundle you might have missed information about your search provider change. Usually this information is given in small print wanting you to miss it. This type of search provider change is used with codecs, video grabbers and similar programs. Legitimate software might also be re-packed with unrelated toolbars and distributed.
- After a malware infection a new search provider might be installed to make money. Usually these are the toolbars that pay for every new install. In some cases, this is not firefox-specific issue and you should go through full redirect virus removal options visit this page.
If you suspect your search provider has been changed due to any of the above reasons and when browsing the Internet you get redirected to pages you did not intend to visit, you should remove the toolbar that causes redirections. First of all perform a simple toolbar uninstall procedure but this will not be enough. Follow these instructions for Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. It will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in a search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in a search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in a search box. Right click and reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset it. It will ensure that the search page will not launch on each new tab.
- Fix the startup pages for each browser, as typically toolbars hijack them as well.
- If none of the above helped to completely remove redirecting problem, run regedit program and search for the website that hijacks your start page. Replace the website with google.com.
If you performed all of the above steps and the problem still exists, it is very likely that the reason of redirects is malware infection. You should do anti-malware scans. If you suspect that toolbar was installed by Trojan, scan your computer using spyhunter and Hitman Pro.
Automatic Firefox redirect virus removal tools
Manual Firefox redirect virus removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Firefox redirect virus, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Firefox redirect virus infected files and get help in Firefox redirect virus removal by using Spyhunter scanner.