FBI Moneypak Virus - How to remove?
What is FBI Moneypak Virus?
FBI Moneypak Virus is one more dangerous ransomware that blocks targeted computer systems and tries to get money from their users. It uses the name of FBI and blames you for breaking the law by watching and distributing pornographic content files. According to the message of FBI Virus, you have to pay a fine of $200-$400 depending on version. It tells you to do that through Moneypak payment system which should sound a bit weird as no official institutions would use such means to collect the fines. And in fact, it is just a scam.
However, nobody wants to deal with FBI so, naturally, many people take this scam for granted and pay the fine. Moreover, since infected computer is completely blocked, usually people don’t know how to find any solution. Even your antivirus is disabled after FBI MoneyPak Virus enters your system. Paying that fine looks like the only solution. Unfortunately, nothing changes even after making the money transfer. This ransomware is a clear scam created by computer hackers who only seek to swindle your money away. They manage to distribute this virus through various security vulnerabilities. It can come bundled with downloads. Also you can get infected if you visit some malicious websites.
Moneypak Payment system is legitimate pre-paid card system and not affiliated with the scammers. However, the way prepaid cards operates makes it extremely hard or impossible to reverse the charges. You should not pay for ransomwares and remove the Moneypak virus instead.
FBI Moneypak Virus removal methods
Note, that there are many versions of this scam, but each of them can be removed with various degrees of difficulty. It is tought to identify correct method at once, so if one method fails, skip and try next one. We cover most of the methods from easiest to the most complex to remove this FBI Moneypak scam.
The easiest way to get rid of FBI Moneypak virus is scan your PC from unaffected account with administrative permissions with spyhunter or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you are not so lucky and have no unaffected account on your computer, there are other options:
- Restart your computer, press F8 while it is restarting.
- Choose safe mode with networking.
- Launch MSConfig.
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data.
- Restart your computer again.
- Scan with http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe to find the file and remove it. Here is a video guide, showing how to do all the steps:
Removing FBI Moneypak Virus when you can boot to Safe Mode with command prompt only
If you cannot use Safe Mode, try rebooting into safe mode with command prompt. Here how to delete Moneypak Virus using this approach:
- Reboot into safe mode with command prompt. FBI Moneypak Virus should not be launched this time.
- Run regedit. Search for Winlogon.
- There will be a key labeled Shell under Winlogon. It should refer to Explorer.exe or be blank. If there is something else referring an executable in one of users folders, replace it with explorer.exe.
- Save changes, reboot to safe mode with networking.
- Run msconfig and disable all unnecessary startup entries. Reboot normally, your system should start without parasite interfering.
- Install and run http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe. Scan with it the PC and delete FBI Moneypak Virus executables it finds.
Here is a video guide illustrating this virus removal method:
There are couple versions of FBI Moneypak Virus that encrypts user documents and images. Depending on parasite version, the files might be recoverable, but it is not always the case. In such cases I recommend using PC support or one of the existing decryptors for the files.
Note, that even if all of safe modes are blocked and you can not access other user account and run Anti-Malware program scan from there, you can still clean your PC from this infection. We recommend either using Bootable antivirus CD/USB disk (Hitman Pro Kickstarter USB is one of such choices) and scanning with it or calling +1-888-334-2444 (USA / CA ) for help.
Using Hitman Pro Kickstarter USB to remove FBI Moneypak virus that blocks all Safe Modes
- For this approach, you will need an uninfected PC and an empty USB disk.
- Download Hitman Pro on this PC. No need for installation and Run it.
- Press on Icon to create Kickstart USB. Follow the instructions.
- Switch infected PC Off. Put USB disk in, turn PC On and press DEL.
- Search for Booting order settings (varies depending on PC) and choose boot from USB as primary option.
- Save settings and Exit.
- Follow instructions on screen.
- When PC is booted, you should have access to your PC. Scan with Hitman Pro and Spyhunter and delete the FBI Moneypak scam files.
- Take USB out and reboot normally.
Automatic FBI Moneypak Virus removal tools
Manual FBI Moneypak Virus removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove FBI Moneypak Virus, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other FBI Moneypak Virus infected files and get help in FBI Moneypak Virus removal by using Spyhunter scanner.