Delta-homes.com - How to remove?
What is Delta-homes.com?
Delta-homes.com is a search hijacker that is distributed through shareware programs starting August 2013. It is part of Delta Search network – a separate domain running the same software and using the same scams for distribution. Delta Homes is used to get advertisement money by forcing you seeing (and, eventually, clicking on) advertisements. The program can be added to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. Once there, it changes your homepage and default search provider to Delta-homes.com despite which ones you were using before. Because of the methods it uses to get into computers and changes in the browser, the program is categorized as a potentially unwanted one (PUP) and Browser hijacker.
Although Delta-homes.com is not virus itself, it can easily bring a malware to the hijacked system. The program causes redirects to unknown websites which can be compromised and you will end up having some infections in your system. What is more, the program can collect information about your browsing activity (especially searches) and send it to third parties, violating your privacy this way. Your search data might be used to redirect you to various “partner” pages as long as the makers think you will buy these things and thus they will earn commission.
This hijacker is rarely distributed alone. Typically, the bundles include at least one adware and one PUP optimisation software as well. Thus you should not be surprised that you see other advertisements as well. It is hard to track down the culprit software without cleaning all infections.
Try to avoid installing such applications by paying more attention to your installations. Always check if there are any additional program bundled to the main one. Usually you can see it during the installation, at one of the last steps. Refuse installing any programs that are unfamiliar to you. Remove Delta-homes.com from your computer, if you have already noticed it on your system.
Special Delta Homes removal instructions
The main issue with Delta homes removal is that it might prevent it as it uses third party legitimate applications for freezing browser settings. This can be fixed by uninstalling all new unrecognized programs from control panel or using generic anti-malware scanner.
Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall everything Delta related from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Delta-homes.com listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
How to remove Delta-homes.com from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click on Change search defaults;
- Remove Delta-homes.com from the list.
How to remove Delta-homes.com from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How to remove Delta-homes.com from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Delta-homes.com from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on the browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list;
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose ‘Open blank page’ (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too);
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.
Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional):
If your browser opens Delta-homes.com page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Delta-homes.com part from target field.