Add-extension.xyz is the domain name of a pop-up virus, that has been actively spreading for the past few months since September 2018. This threat, unlike most other pop-ups, is designed not to generate revenue from aggressive ads, which appear even on your desktop, but to push a dubious Chrome and Mozilla extension, called Adblocking Addon.
Add Extension Xyz Pop Up quicklinks
No matter if Add-extension.xyz pop-up is just an online marketing trick to increase the popularity of an app or it actually does damage the system after a long-term use, you should not trust this program at all and avoid Add-extension.xyz notifications at all costs. Furthermore, if you are seeing these pop-ups constantly you might be dealing with another issue – an adware virus.
Luckily there are a couple methods how you can disable Add-extension.xyz pop-ups and clean your operating system and browser from potential threats. In this article, you’ll find out all about the necessary steps towards the virus-free computer, which will be helpful no matter how technically skilled you are, so, please keep reading.
Is Add-extension.xyz pop-up malicious
Briefly speaking, yes, Add-extension.xyz pop-ups can be relatively dangerous to your computer, however, not directly and only if you allow it. As we mentioned in the introduction, the main purpose of Add-extension.xyz notification is to spread an Untrustworthy browser extension and not Malvertise, therefore the chances of you getting a serious malware infection, like ransomware or Trojan, are rather small. On the other hand, you can never guess what Add-extension.xyz virus creators can do to your PC, once you give the permission.
In Chrome store alone, there are more than 20k installs of this plugin, yet the ratings are not the best, because most likely it compromised users’ browsers with the help of pop-ups like Add-extension.xyz without the permission. While Adblocking Addon itself may not be malware, yet such shady dissemination makes you wonder if the plugin is not misusing the given authorization. Additionally, it is known that Ad blockers are not that innocent as everyone tends to think. We noticed that right after the addon setup browser became significantly slower.
Even though you can easily prevent Add-extension.xyz pop-up from installing anything unwanted by simply closing the displayed page, some users still fall for this trick, thinking that the recommended application is useful or necessary.
Despite our researchers being rerouted to the Adblocking Addon, there is a possibility that Add-extension.xyz pop-ups’ results can be based on the location or constantly changed up via Malicious updated scripts to different redirects and offered programs. This is very unreliable and can actually indirectly infect a computer with unwanted apps. You should not risk your PC’s well-being nor your personal information, because if crooks get into your browser they will be seeing your every step online. That is why it is crucial to remove Add-extension.xyz pop-ups with all the related files before the system’s vulnerabilities get fully exposed to other threats.
Why are you seeing Add-extension.xyz notifications
Right now Add-extension is most prevalent in Brazil, Germany, the United States. Afganistan and Yemen, gathering more than 2 million visits per month. The reason why Add-extension.xyz virus might be bothering users from these areas can be ambiguous websites with tons of Third-party ads, that hide redirecting links to the pop-up. However, unlike the common beliefs, pages that malvertise are not necessarily the illegal ones.
According to the SimilarWeb.com analysis, top referring sites to Add-extension.xyz pop-ups are torcache.net, lix.in, protect-your-privacy.net, ww25.windowsdefender.site, ww17.seokirja.com, dizitr.club, usa.teutorigos-phi.com. These pages seem to be either redirect viruses themselves or they place third-party content from sh.st and traffic.club advertising networks, which are known to have a questionable reputation.
On the contrary, if you browse online safely and go only to a few trustworthy web pages, but keep constantly seeing Add-extension.xyz pop-ups, get redirected and can tell that surfing the net is not as efficient as before, that could be the consequences of an adware infection, like Addonjet, MegaOffers,MgDisk or Multitimer. It could have sneaked in a bundle of other software, preselected as the additional application, which will be set up with main one. Users that already experienced this know that in order to prevent this, you should always install new software from the official source and do it in Custom/Advanced mode, opting out from everything unwanted.
How to remove Add-extension.xyz virus
Fortunately, Add-extension.xyz pop-ups can be easily rid of by simply running a scan with anti-spyware tools like Spyhunter If notifications were caused by other malware these programs will run a thorough scan of your computer and detect the causes of improperly running operating system. When the virus will be found, the same security tool will delete it with all other harming files. This is a perfect solution for those who want to save time, don’t feel too confident with their technical skills or cannot stop Add-extension.xyz notifications manually. Of course, there are tons of great spyware removal tools which can help you, just make sure they are reputable and not rogue antivirus.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to stop Add-extension.xyz pop-ups manually
If you want to try stopping Add-extension.xyz pop-ups yourself first, then we have a detailed guide below on how to do it properly. First begin with disabling web push notifications and then try finding the malicious extension or program in the Control Panel, which is a root cause of the annoying alerts and then removes them as recommended. If you cannot find anything suspicious, because the malware could be hiding or camouflaged as a legitimate app, then we advise running a free anti-malware scan.
How to remove Add-extension.xyz pop-up using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Add-extension.xyz pop-up install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Add-extension.xyz pop-up . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Add-extension.xyz pop-up easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
TopRemoving Add-extension.xyz pop-up from Chrome
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Google Chrome window. Select “Settings”.
- Click “Extensions” on the left menu bar.
- Go through the extensions list and remove programs you do not need, especially similar to Add-extension.xyz pop-up. Click on the trash bin icon next to Add-extension.xyz pop-up or other add-ons you want to remove.
- Press on the “Remove” button on the Confirmation window.
- If unsure, you can disable them temporarily.
- Restart Chrome.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Add-extension.xyz pop-up, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on the Reset settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
TopRemoving Add-extension.xyz pop-up from Firefox
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Add-extension.xyz pop-up related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.