Swagbucks - How to remove?
Swagbucks is a Toolbar that once installed causes your home page, default search engine and new tab page to be changed to search.swagbucks.com. It might also be called the SBTV Toolbar or Swag Code Toolbar. Swagbucks.com allows web users to earn virtual currency by searching the web, shopping at their favorite retailers, engaging in other activities such as phone recycling, submitting polls, and completing special offers. It is owed by Prodege LLC.
While the toolbar itself as well as the website search.swagbucks.com are not malicious and do not cause any direct harm to your computer, having these might be very annoying. First of all, whenever you perform any search, you will be redirected to Swagbucks search page or any other web page that is promoted by the toolbar. Even though you might not see huge differences from, for example, Google or Yahoo! Swagbucks search tool provides relevant search results mixed with advertised links. The two types of the links are not marked any different therefore you might easily click on the promoted link instead of a relevant one. Prodege LLC does not take any responsibility for the content it displays which means you might click on a link that is malicious or lead to a compromised website. Subsequently you might get your computer infected with malware.
Another complaint related to having Swagbucks installed is popup ads that interrupt your work with computer. Moreover, those who installed the application intentionally because of the rewards it offers say that it has a low “payout” rate compared to other similar sites and is also known to ban users who search too much in attempt to earn money. The prizes are very over-priced and are not worth the effort.
As we have already mentioned, Swagbucks cannot be identified as a malicious infection. Users have raised concerns whether the pop-ups from this network can cause viruses or other inconveniences. People noted that they were introduced to very bizarre content like Adobe Flash Upgrades that easily might have been fake and allow malware infections into users’ systems. Another downside of this Swagbucks facility is that it serves a number of third-party content which will be presented in the search results or in forms of various promotional material. Furthermore, users that utilized the search engine of Swagbucks noticed that at times, the generated result were unrelated with their typed in query. In addition to this, the facility works on only a limited amount of locations and if you are from a more unpopular place, the search engine will indicate that “Oops, we currently don’t support searches from your location.”
Another quite negative feature of this facility is that won’t give you the promised point for every search. There are certain regulations that about 3 or 4 searches are accepted. If you have no intention of utilizing this arguable service, then please get rid of it so you won’t be jeopardized any longer. In fact, some people believe that Swagbucks is a reliable decision and they utilize it, disregarding the issues that are raised by other part of the society. If you choose to stick with this facility, avoid those pop-ups that suggest you to download software applications or updates. As soon as you notice that your device is starting to act peculiar, run a full security scan with anti-malware tools to see whether everything is stable in your device.
Whichever is the case, if you installed Swagbucks purposely or you have no idea how it got into your computer, it is recommended to remove it in order to decrease a risk on getting your system infected with viruses via ads and suspicious promoted links. You should follow the guide below:
- Uninstall Swagbucks. You should go to Control Panel Add and Remove Programs list, locate the application there and remove it. If you do not see Swagbucks, use Spyhunter, it will detect any browser hijackers and adware that might have come with Swagbucks or might have been hiden/saved under another name.
- Check if there is no Swagbucks left among browser extensions:
- For Internet Explorer: Go to “Tools” (or gear icon in Internet Explorer 9), -> “Manage Add-ons”. Look for Swagbucks and disable these entries.
- For Google Chrome: Click on the wrench or bars icon on the top right of the screen; go to “Tools”-> “Extensions”. If you see any extensions related to Swagbucks, click on a trash can icon next to them.
- For Mozilla Firefox: Go to “Tools” -> “Add-ons” -> “Extensions”. If you see any extensions related to Swagbucks, disable them.
- If your home page is still search.swagbucks.com, remove it manually:
- For Internet Explorer go to Tools ->Internet Options. Remove search.swagbucks.com and replace it with your preferred webpage.
- For Google Chrome click on the Customize icon -> Settings. Click Set Pages under the startup. Remove search.swagbucks.com and replace it with your preferred webpage.
- For Mozilla Firefox go to Tools -> Options (or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options). Under the General tab remove search.swagbucks.com and replace it with your preferred home page.
- If your search engine is still search.swagbucks.com, reset it to the one you prefer:
- For Internet Explorer go to Tools -> Manage Add Ons -> Search Providers and remove the search.swagbucks.com search engine from the list.
- For Google Chrome go to the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) -> Settings -> Manage search engines -> select a new search engine as the default one -> click X next to search.swagbucks.com to remove it.
- For Mozilla Firefox, click on the search magnify glass icon near the search box, click Manage Search Engines. Remove the search.swagbucks.com from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking Remove.
If you did not scan your computer with Spyhunter in the first step, it is recommended to perform a full system scan after all the steps are completed. It will ensure all the remains of Swagbucks are removed as well as any viruses that might have infected your system while this browser hijacker was active.
Automatic Swagbucks removal toolsWe might be affiliated with some of these programs. Full information is available in disclosure
Manual Swagbucks removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Swagbucks, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Reimage or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Swagbucks infected files and get help in Swagbucks removal by using Reimage scanner.