How to remove Search.yac.mx hijacker
Search.yac.mx hijacker (sometimes incorrectly called Search.yac.mx virus) is a browser hijacker that can be installed to computers together with free downloads from the Internet, namely YAC – Yet Another Cleaner. This software is developed by Elex.
I do not threat YAC itself as malicious or even PUP. However, at some point this program used to change search engine to search.yac.mx. Typically, this was done by user using YAC itself. It is also possible that some third party (unrelated) installers had set the domain to search.yac.mx. Custom homepages and custom search engines allow the program owner to make some money from the searches. However using such search engines is not safe. For privacy reasons I recommend switching back to Google or Bing.
How To remove Search.yac.mx from Internet Explorer:
- Click on the arrow on the right of search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose ‘Manage Search providers’, on IE7 click ‘Change search defaults’.
- Remove Search.yac.mx from the list.
How To remove Search.yac.mx from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right-click and reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab.
- If the settings revert and scans with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in a search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove Search.yac.mx from Google Chrome:
- Click on 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose ‘Open blank page’ (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).