How to remove Ask Toolbar
Ask Toolbar is a program that is promoted through freeware software and often gets inside computers without users knowledge. It’s a legitimate program but because of the way it is installed to computers, it is considered to be undesired application. Ask Toolbar is usually bundled to the installer of the programs you download from the Internet. You can avoid installing it if you pay attention to every step of installation of any program. Usually you can remove check box marked by default in order to avoid installing this toolbar.
However, if you already got it on your computer, the first changes you will see are these: your homepage will be replaced with ask.com or home.tb.ask.com and your default search engine will be altered to search.tb.ask.com. This is quite annoying especially when you have no clue about these changes before they are made. Your search results can be modified too and they may include many sponsored websites. What is more, Ask Toolbar tends to display various ads which is not very pleasant either. It can even redirect you to the websites you have never seen in your life. It even interrupts your privacy as such ad-ons tend to collect information about your browsing history and so on.
If you haven’t downloaded it by yourself, you should remove Ask Toolbar from your system. Go to Programs list on your Control Panel. Go to Start -> Control Panel, click on “Uninstall Program” on Programs area. Look for anything related to Ask Toolbar, ask.com and similar things on a list of programs and click of Uninstall/Change button next to it. Please note that browser hijackers like Ask Toolbar are usually programmed to be resistant to removal therefore a simple uninstall procedure might be not enough. To remove the program automatically, we recommend running a full system scan with a reputable antispyware tool, such as Spyhunter. Adwcleaner can help you with this issue too. After that check if your browser settings are restored to the ones you had before infection. You might need to make some adjusting manually depending on which browser you are using:
- Open IE and go to ‘Tools‘ → ”Manage Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and uninstall everything related to Ask Toolbar from the list.
- Choose ‘Search Providers’ → choose the search engine you used before and make it your default search provider. Additionally, select ‘Web Search’, click ‘Disable suggestions’ to disable it.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Internet Options’ and select ‘General’ tab. Click ‘Use default’ or enter your own website name, google.com or other. Finally, click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ → ‘Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Extensions’ → Ask Toolbar and click ‘Uninstall’.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Options’. Finally, reset the startup homepage or change it to google.com.
For Google Chrome:
- Click on the icon ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’, select ‘Options’.
- Choose ‘Basic’ Options and change Google Chrome homepage to google.com or any other browser and then click the ‘Manage search engines…’ button.
- Choose ‘Google’ and make it your default search engine.
Automatic Ask Toolbar removal tools
Manual Ask Toolbar removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Ask Toolbar, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Ask Toolbar infected files and get help in Ask Toolbar removal by using Spyhunter scanner.