SkilledRecord, or SkilledRecordd, is a malicious app and browser extension. It attacks macOS devices and interferes with web browsers. It causes browser redirects, injects ads, and logs user data. It can also cause unfamiliar apps and browser extensions to be installed without permission.
Skilledrecord Adware quicklinks
- SkilledRecord takes over browsers
- SkilledRecord is disguised as safe apps
- How to remove SkilledRecord
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Check your apps and settings
- How to remove SkilledRecord Adware from macOS
- (Optional) Delete related settings
- (Optional) Delete malicious files
- Review browser settings
- How To remove SkilledRecord Adware from Firefox on Mac OS:
SkilledRecord in short:
|Type of threat||Adware,
|Problems caused by SkilledRecord||It causes web browsers to show excessive ads and open unwanted sites,
it can be difficult to remove.
|How adware infects Macs||It spreads online disguised as trusted apps,
it’s created to try and get around macOS’ built-in security.
|How to delete SkilledRecord||Delete the files that belong to SkilledRecord with the help of anti-malware apps (Spyhunter for Mac, Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes, others),
check the settings that might have been affected by the infection,
find and remove suspicious apps and browser extensions.
SkilledRecord takes over browsers
If SkilledRecord has infected your Mac, you might notice unfamiliar apps in your Dock and unexpected websites opening in your web browsers. You might encounter strange sites like Multi-tab.xyz, Searchmime.com, Safefinder.com and Searchmarquis.com, or something more familiar, like Yahoo.com and Bing.com.
The malware shows ads and opens websites in the browser. It also redirects some sites. All this makes the browsing experience frustrating. In addition, some of the sites that SkilledRecord opens might be unsafe, such as various scam sites and counterfeit products. This is because, generally, adware viruses advertise controversial and low-quality content.
On top of that, SkilledRecord can log your data:
- all search terms,
- browsing history,
- login credentials (usernames and passwords).
This data can be used to show targeted ads. SkilledRecord collecting it is bad for people’s privacy, as browsing history can include a lot of personal information.
If SkilledRecord infects a Mac successfully, it should install one or two browser add-ons – new tab hijackers or search hijackers. This might affect all or only some of your browsers.
You might also experience issues with your internet connection. SkilledRecord might cause some websites to fail to open and it can cause some apps to hang. This is probably not intentional on the site of SkilledRecord, though.
SkilledRecord is disguised as safe apps
SkilledRecord is distributed online disguised as Adobe Flash Player and as other trusted applications. While SkilledRecord abuses the names of trusted companies like Adobe, it has nothing to do with them. Still, users get tricked by deceptive ads and installers to download and run malware on their Macs.
Normally, Macs are protected by Gatekeeper and XProtext, but the creators of Mac malware always look for ways to get around these protections:
- unusual installation instructions that trick users into bypassing Gatekeeper,
- new versions of malware whose signatures XProtext doesn’t yet recognize.
Still, your Mac might show warnings about SkilledRecord or another app.
How to remove SkilledRecord
SkilledRecord likely can’t be removed as easily as normal apps can (How to delete apps on your Mac). This is because part of the SkilledRecord infection runs at startup, checks whether it’s been removed, and can restore the adware.
To completely delete SkilledRecord, it’s needed to eradicate the infection completely: find the files and settings related to this infection, then delete them and remove the changes made by SkilledRecord.
In the following section are instructions for how to find files related to SkilledRecord and which settings to check. Network, profile, and startup settings are likely to be hijacked by the SkilledRecord infection.
Scan your Mac with an anti-malware app, such as Spyhunter for Mac, Combo Cleaner, or Malwarebytes. They can detect malicious software and files and help you remove them.
One problem that shows up from time to time concerning adware similar to SkilledRecord is that malicious apps get installed and appear on their own. Adware apps like AssistiveAnalog, OriginalGrowthSystem, AphroditeResults, and others are very similar, so the same removal instructions should apply.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Check your apps and settings
How to remove SkilledRecord Adware from macOSDelete SkilledRecord from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the SkilledRecord Adware app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
(Optional) Delete related settingsSome malicious apps make themselves difficult to delete by changing various settings and leaving behind malicious files. Remove settings related to SkilledRecord.
- Click the Apple logo in the menu bar. Open System Preferences.
- Some malicious applications set profiles to enforce unwanted settings. Remove unwanted configuration profiles.
- In System Preferences, click the Profiles icon. This icon is only visible if there are profiles on your Mac.
- Select unwanted profiles and remove them by pressing the minus '-' button at the bottom.
- Some adware applications set SOCKS proxy to manipulate your internet traffic. Remove unwanted proxies:
- In System Preferences, click Network, Advanced, Proxies.
- If a proxy is set without your permission, uncheck it and click OK.
(Optional) Delete malicious filesSome malicious apps leave behind dangerous files in your Library folders. Delete files related to SkilledRecord Adware.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go -> Computer.
- In the search box, type in SkilledRecord and variations of it.
- Delete the files that are found and that seem to be related to SkilledRecord Adware.
Review browser settings
How to remove SkilledRecord Adware from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall SkilledRecord and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.
TopHow to remove SkilledRecord Adware from Google Chrome on Mac:
- Open Chrome browser.
- Enter in the url field “chrome://extensions” address and hit Enter.
- Find SkilledRecord on the extensions list and click on the recycle bin icon next to it.
- Click on 'Chrome' button at the top left corner. Select 'Preferences' on a drop-down menu box.
- Find 'Search' options on Settings tab. If your search engine is changed, click 'Manage Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- On the same page find 'Show home button' checkbox and change your homepage.
- On the 'Preferences' menu window, scroll down to the bottom and find 'Reset settings' button. Click it.
- Confirm your selection and click 'Reset' on the following window.
How To remove SkilledRecord Adware from Firefox on Mac OS:
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press cmd+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions list, remove everything SkilledRecord Adware related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Enter “about:preferences” in URL bar and hit enter.
- Open Search settings tab.
- If your search engine is changed, click 'Default Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Preferences-> General. Enter a preferable URL to the home page field.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.