OriginalGrowthSystem is an app or extension that behaves like adware. It attacks macOS devices, gets installed without permission, changes network settings, and forces web browsers to open certain websites. OriginalGrowthSystem’s operators make money by displaying ads or promoting websites.
The OriginalGrowthSystem app should be removed, but this might not be as easy as uninstalling a regular app: there might be other browser add-ons that need to be deleted, some important settings that need to be changed. The instructions for changing the settings that can be affected by OriginalGrowthSystem are at the bottom of the post.
Originalgrowthsystem Adware quicklinks
- How does OriginalGrowthSystem infect Macs?
- OriginalGrowthSystem infection symptoms
- How to remove OriginalGrowthSystem
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Check malicious files and settings
- How to remove OriginalGrowthSystem Adware from macOS
- (Optional) Delete related settings
- (Optional) Delete malicious files
- Remove browser hijackers
- How To remove OriginalGrowthSystem Adware from Firefox on Mac OS:
OriginalGrowthSystem in short:
|How adware infects Macs||Advertised online with malicious ads,
bundled with legitimate apps.
|Problems caused by OriginalGrowthSystem adware||Browsers open suspicious websites on their own,
unknown apps and browser extensions install on their own.
|How to get rid of OriginalGrowthSystem||Find and delete malicious files manually and with anti-malware apps (Spyhunter for Mac, Combo Cleaner, others),
restore settings to remove traces of adware.
How does OriginalGrowthSystem infect Macs?
Macs get infected with malicious software in a few ways: through pirated apps, malicious ads, deceptive messages and links, etc. (So How Do Macs Get Infected With Malware?) Adload and Shlayer are well-known, widespread adware families that have been infected Macs with adware for years.
OriginalGrowthSystem likely spreads with malicious ads, especially fake Flash Player updates. OriginalGrowthSystem and other malware is packed into an installer, possibly together with the real Flash Player or another legitimate app to make the process look a bit more legitimate.
Depending on which version of macOS you have, your operating system might have stopped any adware infection attempts. You might have seen alerts like [File] will damage your computer and [App] wants access to control Safari.
But if OriginalGrowthSystem makes it onto your computer, it causes a few problems.
OriginalGrowthSystem infection symptoms
OriginalGrowthSystem’s appearance might be followed by some websites not loading on the infected device, online apps might be unstable (freeze, crash). You might notice that the infected Mac can’t load some websites, even though all the other devices on the network do it fine.
Unfamiliar apps and browser extensions might get installed on their own. In addition to OriginalGrowthSystem, similar apps might show up, such as SurfBoost and AphroditeResults.
The problems with OriginalGrowthSystem adware go deeper than that:
- malicious apps log private user data,
- they force browsers to open potentially dangerous sites,
- the malicious apps and extensions refuse to be deleted (they can return after being removed).
Your web browser might open some websites without your permission: Searchmarquis.com, Searchsnow.com, and others.
How to remove OriginalGrowthSystem
Check your network settings and configuration profiles. Those are the places where serious adware infections show up. If OriginalGrowthSystem set your traffic to go through a proxy, this could cause some sites to not load. If it installed a profile, it could keep some settings on your Mac from being changed.
To delete OriginalGrowthSystem, find its settings and files as described in the instructions below.
It’s also helpful to scan your Mac with an anti-malware app, such as Spyhunter for Mac, Combo Cleaner, and others. They could find malware that you might miss. This is important because malicious apps often spread in little groups or advertise each other: one infection can quickly turn into two or three.
Whether or not you use an anti-malware app, you’ll need to check your system preferences manually.
The good news is that mild adware apps are not that harmful. They don’t leave backdoors or steal your files. Still, they might log some important information, such as your login credentials, from your browser. Once your Mac is clean, it might be wise to reset your passwords. It also helps to use 2-factor verification to secure your accounts.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Check malicious files and settings
How to remove OriginalGrowthSystem Adware from macOSDelete OriginalGrowthSystem from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the OriginalGrowthSystem Adware app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
(Optional) Delete related settingsSome malicious apps make themselves difficult to delete by changing various settings and leaving behind malicious files. Remove settings related to OriginalGrowthSystem.
- Click the Apple logo in the menu bar. Open System Preferences.
- Some malicious applications set profiles to enforce unwanted settings. Remove unwanted configuration profiles.
- In System Preferences, click the Profiles icon. This icon is only visible if there are profiles on your Mac.
- Select unwanted profiles and remove them by pressing the minus '-' button at the bottom.
- Some adware applications set SOCKS proxy to manipulate your internet traffic. Remove unwanted proxies:
- In System Preferences, click Network, Advanced, Proxies.
- If a proxy is set without your permission, uncheck it and click OK.
(Optional) Delete malicious filesSome malicious apps leave behind dangerous files in your Library folders. Delete files related to OriginalGrowthSystem Adware.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go -> Computer.
- In the search box, type in OriginalGrowthSystem and variations of it.
- Delete the files that are found and that seem to be related to OriginalGrowthSystem Adware.
Remove browser hijackers
How to remove OriginalGrowthSystem Adware from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall OriginalGrowthSystem and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.
TopHow to remove OriginalGrowthSystem Adware from Google Chrome on Mac:
- Open Chrome browser.
- Enter in the url field “chrome://extensions” address and hit Enter.
- Find OriginalGrowthSystem on the extensions list and click on the recycle bin icon next to it.
- Click on 'Chrome' button at the top left corner. Select 'Preferences' on a drop-down menu box.
- Find 'Search' options on Settings tab. If your search engine is changed, click 'Manage Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- On the same page find 'Show home button' checkbox and change your homepage.
- On the 'Preferences' menu window, scroll down to the bottom and find 'Reset settings' button. Click it.
- Confirm your selection and click 'Reset' on the following window.
How To remove OriginalGrowthSystem Adware from Firefox on Mac OS:
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press cmd+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions list, remove everything OriginalGrowthSystem Adware related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Enter “about:preferences” in URL bar and hit enter.
- Open Search settings tab.
- If your search engine is changed, click 'Default Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Preferences-> General. Enter a preferable URL to the home page field.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.