MySearches.co is a website that will appear on a new tab if the web browser is infected with OneSearch extension. This extension is malicious (browser hijacker) and if you can’t recall setting MySearches.co as your new tab page, it is a clear sign that the web browser you are currently using is infected.
Even though browser hijackers are not very dangerous, they still can bring various unwanted consequences, therefore you should eliminate the extension. Most common symptoms that can be caused by infections like this:
- changed personal settings (homepage, new tab page, default search engine);
- Data gathering;
- infiltration of other infections;
- web advertisements and redirects.
All those symptoms are not only unwanted but also potentially dangerous. Probably the biggest problem regarding this infection is that a lot of users tend to simply ignore it. We recommend not to do that and eliminate the virus completely. In this article, we will talk about that – how to detect MySearches.co, remove it and protect your computer from similar infections in the future.
Mysearches Co quicklinks
- Operation processes of MySearches.co virus
- Why using MySearches.co is dangerous
- MySearhces hijackers network
- How it infected your computer
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Instructions to remove MySearches virus from a computer
- How to remove MySearches.co virus using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove MySearches.co from macOS
Operation processes of MySearches.co virus
As we have already stated, MySearches.co operates as a browser hijacker. That means in order to infect a computer, it needs to be infiltrated into a web browser. Also, it will place malicious files on computer hard drive too, thus in order to completely eliminate this infection, you need to remove it both from the web browser and computer.
When MySearches.co is already operating on your computer, it will automatically change some of your personal settings – that’s why it is called a hijacker. Some browser hijackers are targeted to changing homepage (such as MyHomePage.pro or Youhomepage.org) while others only try to modify new tab page. MySearches.co belongs to the second type as it won’t touch your homepage.
www.mysearches.co page looks like any other website from Polarity. If you don’t know it yet, Polarity Technologies LTD is one of the main players in the hijackers market right now. Previously it was called SaferBrowser.
It features a custom toolbar, various links to popular websites and a web search feature. By the definition, MySearches.co should bring an enhanced experience to your web searches and provide better results. Unfortunately, that is not true – this search is completely useless and even dangerous.
Why using MySearches.co is dangerous
It is mentioned before that a lot of users simply ignore the fact that the virus has hijacked their web browsers and continue using them anyway. That is the most dangerous thing because using it for web searches can result in personal data loss or even other viruses being implemented into your system.
While OneSearch extension is compatible with various web browsers, it can affect users of Microsoft Windows and Mac iOS. And if you just continue using your web browser after the infection, MySearches.co will collect all search queries that you fill in there. In case some of your private information is revealed to the search, it can be Leaked to third parties later and that’s extremely dangerous.
Also, there is no enhanced search – it will simply redirect you to Yahoo search. While Yahoo search is OK, using it while MySearhces serves as a middleman is not ok because crooks behind this infection can modify search results and display ads, sponsored links and so on. Just take a look at the results we got after searching for our own website:
We do not recommend to click on any of those advertisements or sponsored links, because they are not approved by any legitimate authority and can lead you to dangerous places. This may result in other viruses being infiltrated into your computer.
MySearhces hijackers network
You might already have noticed that there are plenty of infections that are named very similar – Www-mysearch.com, Mysearch.com, Mysearches.info and so on. Even though they were not necessarily produced by the same developer or look the same, they all act the same way and belong to the MySearch hijackers network.
Those hijackers tend to be looking after hijacking homepages and new tabs on various web browsers and most of the time will result in similar consequences. The good thing is that we already have examined tons of such viruses, thus gaining experience how to deal with them effectively.
In case you are not sure whether your computer is infected with MySearches.co or another similar virus, you should scan it with Spyhunter. Either one of those programs should detect and remove the roots of infection automatically in no time.
How it infected your computer
If it looks like this virus just showed up out of nowhere one day, try to recall if you have installed some free software from the internet (Freeware) lately? That’s because the most common method of distributing infections like MySearches is bundling. It’s when a virus is attached to some legitimate or semi-legitimate free application and gets installed at the same time.
Most of the time users are not even aware of the fact that additional software is going to be installed, so the hijacker comes as a surprise.
There is an easy solution to this problem – download software only from well-known and reputable sources and always pay close attention to the installation. If you notice something strange, take your time to investigate the situation and google it.
If it is too late and your computer is already infected, please take a look at MySearches removal instructions provided below or simply use the automatic removal tool to solve this problem faster.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Instructions to remove MySearches virus from a computer
How to remove MySearches.co virus using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like OneSearch install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to MySearches.co . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make MySearches.co virus easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove MySearches.co from macOSDelete MySearches.co virus from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the OneSearch app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove MySearches.co from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to OneSearch, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove MySearches.co from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything MySearches.co related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove MySearches.co from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove MySearches.co from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall OneSearch and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.