Windows Work Checker - How to remove?
Windows Work Checker is a fake antivirus from the multi-name rogue family claiming to be an upgrade to Microsoft Security Essentials. Typically, one gets infected after downloading an executable presented as video file, some sort of free codecs or by fake antivirus scan pages on infected websites. Typically, prior seeing main Windows Work Checker window, one sees a window mimicking Microsoft’s Security Essential – a legitimate antivirus. It claims that an unknown Win32/Trojan is detected and that one needs to find a better program to identify it and remove.
Microsoft Security Essentials Alert
Potential Threat Details
Microsoft Security Essentials detected potential threats that might compromise your private or damage your computer. Your access to these items may be suspended until you take an action. Click ‘show details’ to learn more.
Once user clicks on such message, the fake scanner will pretend to search for solution, and then suggest to install one of multi-named rogue skins like Windows Work Checker (they change daily).
Windows Work Checker will detect infections in completely harmless files. It will claim that your system is heavily infected, and will not allow uninstall it (no real antiviruses do that). Windows Work Checker will alert about various attacks to ones PC, even if the PC is disconnected from internet. It will try to disable and stop legitimate programs from launching, to prevent from removal. This fake antivirus will refuse to remove threats or even close its window without being paid. Thus it is very annoying.
To remove Windows Work Checker, you will need to close its window. This can be done by allowing it to scan your PC and then going to payment window. At this point malware has to allow external processes, so it can be closed. After that perform following steps to get rid of it:
1. Download and launch Process Explorer. You might have to rename it to .com to prevent Windows Work Checker from stopping it.
2. Make sure you see all file paths in Process Explorer. Stop processes listed bellow, and everything that is launched from %AppData%, %Application Data% or %Temp%.
3. Launch registry filing utility: http://www.2-viruses.com/wp-content/uploads/exeregfix.reg
4. Launch Browser of your choice and disable proxy server in it. Windows Work Checker might filter your browsing results and prevent browser from functioning.
5. Download an Anti-Malware tools : spyhunter, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Hitman Pro. Do a full system scan and remove Windows Work Checker files they detect.
6. Upgrade your anti-virus and anti-malware protection to prevent such infections from happening again. Windows Work Checker prevention is much easier than removal. Full internet security suites or anti-malware applications like Spyhunter or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware would have stopped the infection from happening.
Automatic Windows Work Checker removal tools
Manual Windows Work Checker removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Windows Work Checker, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Windows Work Checker infected files and get help in Windows Work Checker removal by using Spyhunter scanner.