Wajam - How to remove?
Wajam is a browser extension that is considered to be a potentially unwanted program because of its relations with redirections and other unwanted activities on your browser. The application is presented as a social search engine and it is possible to download it at wajam.com. However, lately it was noticed that Wajam is installed to computers without users’ permission, usually together with other software that users are downloading by themselves.
The program works on Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Although it claims to provide very nice features and make your searches social, in fact it is not as reliable and safe as it tries to show. Wajam can actually collect data about your browsing activities and sell this information to the third parties. This way it poses a risk even to your highly private information. As a result you may receive various ads in the future and even be infected with malicious programs.
You should also know that Wajam doesn’t work as a proper search engine. It causes tons of redirects to malicious websites, modifies your browser settings, which means it can also change your homepage and default search provider. Moreover, it includes mainly sponsored websites in your search results, creating traffic to these pages a bit unfair. It’s an annoying application that will badly affect your work on the Internet.
We highly recommend removing Wajam from your computer once you detected its existence on your browser. Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome and remove it from there. If you do not see Wajam listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. If you had redirecting issues, you might need to reset your home page and search engine to the one you used before:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on ie7 click change search defaults;
- Remove Wajam from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list;
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Please note, it is very important to scan your computer with a reliable antimalware program after Wajam is removed as it might be your system got infected with viruses while having it.
Automatic Wajam removal tools
Manual Wajam removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Wajam, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Wajam infected files and get help in Wajam removal by using Spyhunter scanner.