Wajam - How to remove?
Wajam is a browser extension that is considered to be a potentially unwanted program because of its relations with redirections and other unwanted activities on your browser. The application is presented as a social search engine and it is possible to download it at its official website – wajam.com. However, lately it was noticed that Wajam is installed to computers without even asking for users’ permission, usually together with other software that users are downloading by themselves from the Internet. It comes bundled to free music or video players, PDF creators, download managers and similar applications. Some of the programs that are known to include Wajam are 1ClickDownload, FBPhotoZoom, Superfish and Yontoo. IF you have recently installed any of them to your computer, it is not surprising you also see Wajam virus.
You should also know that Wajam doesn’t work as a proper search engine. It causes tons of redirects to malicious websites, modifies your browser settings, which means it can also change your homepage and default search provider to suspicious search pages, which will include sponsored websites in your search results, trying to creating traffic to particular pages. This is not a fair activity. As you see, Wajam is an annoying application that will only interfere into your work on the Internet.
As this type of browser extensions come along other applications, you can avoid installing them to your browsers. A lot of computer users don’t pay much attention to the installation process of their new downloads. They choose Basic installation (it is often listed as recommended one), as it is takes less time and seems to be less confusing. However, you should always go for Custom or Advanced installation. This way, you will be able to see all additional programs that come along the main software and you will be able to refuse adding them. Usually you will have to deselect several checkmarks next to options to add unknown programs, like Wajam. Some of the downloads may offer changing your homepage or search provider too. Do not accept it either, unless you are sure about the reliability of suggested websites.
We highly recommend removing Wajam from your computer once you detected its existence on any of your browsers. At first, Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome and remove it from there. If you do not see Wajam listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. If you had redirecting issues, you might need to reset your home page and search engine to the one you used before:
How to remove Wajam using Windows Control Panel
Many hijackers and adware like Wajam install some of their components as regular windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from control panel. To access it, do following.
- Start->Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key->Search and enter Control panel (Windows 8);
- Choose Uninstall Program;
- Go through list of programs and uninstall entries related to Wajam
and related parasites like Social Search Toolbar , Coupon Pigeon , LemurLeap , SearchMe Toolbar , VirtualDJ toolbar , Openadserving.com , Scenic Reflections Toolbar , Hao123 toolbar , DealDropDown , Webwebweb.com virus .
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter, Malwarebytes and Stopzilla to identify other programs that might be part of this infection.
This method will not remove some of browser plugins thus proceed to next part of removal guide.
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on ie7 click change search defaults;
- Remove Wajam from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list;
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Please note, it is very important to scan your computer with a reliable antimalware program after Wajam is removed as it might be your system got infected with viruses while having it.