Metropolitan British Police virus - How to remove?
What is Metropolitan British Police virus?
Metropolitan British Police virus is a ransomware that blocks access to any programs that you have on your computer and tries to get money from you. Although it uses a name of British Police, the latter institution has nothing to do with this scam. The program only expects to gain trust this way and convince the user to pay a ransom.
Metropolitan British Police virus displays a message claiming that you have violated the law when using and sharing pornographic content or copyrighted content. At this time it completely blocks your system and the only thing you can see is this message in the center of your computer screen. You can have a look at this message below:
Serios Organised Crime Agency
METROPOLITAN BRITISH POLICE
Your computer has been blocked up for safety reasons listed below.
You are accused of viewing/storage and/or dissemination of banned pornography (child pornography/zoophilia/rape etc). You have violated World Declaration on non-proliferation of child pornography. You are accused of committing the crime envisaged by Article 161 of Kingdom or Great Britain criminal law.
The penalty set must be paid in course of 48 hours as of the breach. On expiration of the term, 48 hours that follow will be used for automatic collection of data on yourself and your misconduct, and criminal case will be opened against you.
Amount of fine is £100. You can pay a fine Ukash or PaySafeCard vouchers.
Metropolitan British Police virus asks to pay a fine for the violations mentioned above and then it promises to unblock your system. On the right side of the message you will be give two option to pay it: either using Ukash or Paysafecard payment systems. This is just one more proof that Metropolitan British Police virus has nothing to do with any police institutions. Police would never collect fines using such methods.
It is highly recommended to remove Metropolitan British Police virus from your system straight after detecting it there. As you will not be able to run any programs on your computer, this might be quite a difficult task. If your computer has more than one user account and not all of them are locked, scan whole PC with anti-malware programs, e.g. spyhunter, by logging to the account that is not blocked. Another option is to use system restore. If none of these methods worked for you, do the following:
- Restart your computer;
- Press F8 while it is still restarting;
- Choose between safe modes in following order: Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt.
Then follow the guides below:
If your computer runs in Safe mode or Safe mode with networking
- Launch MSConfig.
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data;. Note, that these are typical locations for Metropolitan British Police virus but some others might be used.
- Restart the system once again.
- Scan with http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe to identify Metropolitan British Police virus files and delete it.
Here is a video showing how to complete the steps:
If your computer runs in Safe mode with command prompt
- Run Regedit.
- Search for WinLogon Entries. Write down all files it references that are not explorer.exe or blank. Replace them with explorer.exe.
- Search registry forMetropolitan British Police virus files and delete the registry keys referencing the files.
- Try to reboot and scan with Spyhunter.
- If this fails, try doing system restore from safe mode with command prompt (rstrui.exe).
If none of safe modes could be launched
Some versions of Metropolitan British Police virus disable all safe modes, but give a short gap that you can use to run anti-malware programs:
- Reboot normally.
- Enter: http://2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe . If malware is loaded, just press alt+tab once and keep entering the string blindly. Press Enter.
- Press Alt+tab and then R couple times. Metropolitan British Police virus process should be killed.
Here is a video detailing this approach:
Hitman Pro USB disk
If you did not succeed using any of the methods above, try scanning PC with a bootable USB or DVD disk. These should be able to remove all versions of Metropolitan British Police virus, but will not work if your hard drive is encrypted.
For that, we recommend using Hitman Pro Kickstarter USB.
- Download Hitman Pro on uninfected PC.
- Run Hitman and ask to create Kickstarter USB (option on initial screen).
- When USB ready, reboot infected PC with USB attached and press DEL.
- Choose USB as primary boot device.
- Boot normally.
- Run Hitman Pro and http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe . One of these programs should detect and remove malware from your PC.
Automatic Metropolitan British Police virus removal tools
Manual Metropolitan British Police virus removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Metropolitan British Police virus, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Metropolitan British Police virus infected files and get help in Metropolitan British Police virus removal by using Spyhunter scanner.