Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus - How To Remove?
Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus is a ransomware that belongs to a group of Ukash payment related viruses that use a name of FBI to scare computer users and get money from them. The program spreads on computers through malicious websites and can infect any computer system. It comes bundled with various freeware programs without users consent.
Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus displays a message that states you have violated some law by using or distributing some copyrighted content. It even mentions which laws you violated and tells you to pay a fine of $500. The application completely blocks your system and you cannot do anything there. The message of Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus even warns that all activity of your computer is being recorded using audio, video and other devices. Here is how the message looks like:
Internet Crime Complaint Center
Department of Federal Bureau of Investigation
Threat of prosecution reminder
You have been violating Copyright and Related Rights Law (Video, Music, Software) and illegally using or distributing copyrighted content, thus infringing Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8, also known as the Copyright of the Criminal Code of United States of America. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8 of the Criminal Code provides for a fine of two to five hundred minimal wages or a deprivation of liberty for two to eight years.
You have been viewing or distributing prohibited pornographic content (child porn, zoofilia, etc.) thus violating article 202 of the Criminal Code of the United States of America. Article 202 of the Criminal Code provides for a deprivation of liberty for four to twelve years.
You are told to pay a fine using MoneyPak payment system and then it promises to unblock your machine in 4 hours. Since the message is related to police, many people get scared about it and don’t even think that this might be a scam. Do not fall for Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus under any circumstances and never pay anything it tells you to pay. Your money will go straight to computer hackers and you definitely don’t want that. Remove Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus as soon as you notice it on your computer.
Follow these steps if you got infected:
1. Restart your computer, press F8 while it is restarting
2. Choose safe mode with networking
3. Launch MSConfig
4. Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data;
5. Restart your computer again.
7. Scan with http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe to identify the file and remove it. Here is a video guide, showing how to perform all the steps:
If you cannot use Safe Mode, try rebooting normally. You may be able to run your antimalware for a short period of time. If you can do it, follow these steps.
- Reboot into safe mode with command prompt. Internet Crime Complaint Center Virus should not be launched this time.
- Run regedit. Search for Winlogon.
- There will be a key labeled Shell under Winlogon. It should reference Explorer.exe or be blank. If there is something else referring an executable in one of users folders, replace it with explorer.exe.
- Save changes, reboot to safe mode with networking.
- Run msconfig and disable all unnecessary startup entries. You should be able to reboot normally.
- Install and run http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe. Scan with it the PC and delete Internet Crime Complaint Virus executables it finds.
Here is a video guide illustrating this virus removal method: