Help Me Find Your Info Hijacker - How to remove?
Help Me Find Your Info Hijacker is a browser plugin that causes your default search engine, home page and new tab page to be replaced with websearch.helpmefindyour.info. The latter search tool offers web, image, video and news search options. After performing, for example, a video search you will get redirected to another search page that belongs to Smart Address Bar. If you try to reset your home page, default search engine and/or new tab page by following usual instructions, you will see that browser settings do not respond to your commands given. This is very characteristic to browser hijackers and adware that use unfair means for gaining as many customers as possible.
Most likely you did not install Help Me Find Your Info plugin intentionally. One of the tricks, alas a legal one, that companies like helpmefindyour.info Ltd. uses is to bundle the toolbar with freeware or shareware. Once someone downloads and installs, for example a free video file converter, she might end up having websearch.helpmefindyour.info redirections. In order to avoid these unwanted changes always select custom installation option when getting any software and remove the check boxes for any additional applications to be added during installing.
If you want to remove Help Me Find Your Info Hijacker, a simple uninstall from Control Panel is not enough. You will also need to remove it from browser extensions (you should do this to all of the Internet browsers installed to your computer). Very often browser hijackers and adware tend to be named under different titles or come in more than one piece. If you want to remove the unwanted application, you might need to delete any unfamiliar browser extensions. For those that are not that computer savvy, it is safer to use special browser hijacker removal tools, for example Spyhunter. Deleting files without knowing enough about them might cause more harm to computer.
If after scanning your computer with Spyhunter your default search engine remained websearch.helpmefindyour.info, do the following:
- Click arrow on the right of search box;
- On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers or on IE7 click change search defaults;
- Remove websearch.helpmefindyour.info from the list.
On Firefox :
- In url field type “about:config” (without the quotes) and do following =>
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for other references to websearch.helpmefindyour.info there.
On Google Chrome:
- Click gear icon on browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove websearch.helpmefindyour.info from list.
For a home page to be reset:
- For FF click on “Restore to default” on Options – General – Startup – Home page. You should also set “When Firefox starts” to “Show my home page”.
- For Google Chrome go to Settings, select the “Show Home button” checkbox in the “Appearance” section. Click Change on the Home button and enter the the address that you wish to use as your home page.
- For IE go to Tools – Internet options. Under the General tab, enter the web address of your new home page, click Apply.