If you have noticed a toolbar called Yandex added to your browser, you should want to remove it. It is a browser add-on that is distributed together with various registry cleaners or dropped to computers by Trojans. Yandex.ru is a legitimate search provider, so it is safe to use it. However, if Yandex bar was added to your browser without your intentions, probably you will not want to keep it there.
There are several cases when other hijackers use yandex search engine to display results as well. While yandex site is safe, such hijackers can redirect you to any website on further searches as well. Thus it is better to remove them as well.
Some users reported that once this toolbar appeared on their browser, they have noticed several other modifications. If Yandex bar was added by third-parties freeware, it may have also changed your homepage to yandex.ru. Moreover, it provides some quick links to your emails, weather forecasts and so on. These changes are not posing any risk to your computer, but some users may not like them.
To avoid getting various toolbars added to your browsers, be more careful with your downloads from the Internet. Always read the installation steps of new applications and refuse adding programs or making other changes in your system that may cause problems in the future. If you want to remove Yandex bar, you have to uninstall it from Control Panel and restore your browser settings. You should also scan your PC with Spyhunter, Malwarebytes to get rid of additional infections that could have been added. To reset a search hijacking, do the following:
How to remove Yandex bar from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click on Change search defaults;
- Remove Yandex bar from the list.
How to remove Yandex bar from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How to remove Yandex bar from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Yandex bar from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on the browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list;
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose ‘Open blank page’ (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too);
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.
Automatic Malware removal tools