Y2mate.com is a YouTube video converter. Online video converters and downloaders are very useful as a way to listen to or watch videos offline and to archive material. Unfortunately, Y2mate.com (and many other converter sites) relies on low-quality advertisements that prey on inexperienced internet users. It is important to be extra careful when you visit this site.
Summary of Y2mate.com ads:
Y2mate Com Ads quicklinks
- What is the Y2mate.com website?
- What is the problem with it?
- How to be safe online?
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- How to remove Y2mate.com Redirects using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove Y2mate.com Redirects from macOS
What is the Y2mate.com website?
Y2mate.com is a YouTube video converter. It creates downloadable audio or video files from Youtube videos.
Some say that it’s illegal to use sites like y2mate, but that’s not always true. The legality depends on the creators of the video that is converted. Copyrighted content (such as a music video of a popular singer) is indeed illegal to download: those videos are only on Youtube to be streamed. Some Youtube converters have even gone under because of pressure from publishing companies. Besides, downloading YouTube videos is a breach of their Terms of Service. However, there are Youtube creators who allow their videos to be downloaded.
What is the problem with it?
Y2mate.com relies on advertisements to finance its services. There is nothing wrong with that – advertising is how most commercial websites remain free. Unfortunately, the y2mate ads do not respect your choices. You never know when pressing a button or a link will open a new tab that leads to a random online store, pirating site, or a news webpage that wants to deliver push notifications. This makes y2mate a bit frustrating to use when you only wanted to download a song. Worse, if you accept the notifications, you will notice periodic popups being delivered by, for example, install.noticy-service.com, which we already wrote about. These popups are annoying and relentless, they even appear on the desktop. This can harm the browsing experience even when not on y2mate.
It’s also concerning that some of the y2mate notifications lead to various scams. If they successfully trick a person to sign up and invest in fraudulent activity or a pyramid scheme or show a fake security warning, that could result in real financial harm. I couldn’t tell you the number of times we were looking at some notification spammer or browser hijacker and discovered that users from Y2mate.com were being exposed to it. In order to protect internet users, professional ad networks reject ads for fraudulent activity, but y2mate and similar websites do not have such requirements for their ads.
The most dangerous ads by Y2mate.com are those that lead to infected sites. Those could automatically download malicious files or run scripts (for example, drive-by crypt mining can use the victim’s processing power to make money for the cybercriminals). Internet browsers are always trying to get ahead of cybercriminals and plug all the security holes that can be used to infect people’s computers. It is a constant struggle, so remember to update your programs.
How to be safe online?
Going to Y2mate.com doesn’t infect your computer automatically, it just might expose you to dangerous sites that use deception to take advantage of people. You just need to minimize how many malicious ads you’re exposed to.
If you want to use websites that deliver risky advertisements, know that there is always a risk of infection. A computer virus is usually a solvable problem, but always be ready and back up your data. A lot of people visit sites like y2mate and they have learned to deal with the risks. But even experienced internet users sometimes fall victim to something as devastating as ransomware, and having a backup will save you a lot of headaches.
Think carefully before allowing notifications, remember that it is always your right to refuse it. Be careful when clicking on ads, especially the types that promise something too good to be true (something like “Win a New Phone” ought to be ignored).
Absolutely do not give away your personal information, like credit card data, unless you are certain that you can trust the company.
Install a trusted and reputable antivirus program, and update regularly. Take advantage of your antivirus program — scan files that you downloaded or got in an email, perform a system scan periodically. Use your security software to block malicious websites.
Update your other software. Software patches sometimes include updates very important to security.
Stop the y2mate ads
If ads and redirects are happening constantly, check your notification permissions in your browser. Push notifications are possibly being abused to show you ads and, luckily, this can easily be stopped by editing your settings:
- Chrome – type “chrome://settings/content/notifications” in the address box.
- Safari – in the Safari menu, choose Preferences, Websites, Notifications.
- Edge – open Settings, Advanced settings, Notifications, Manage.
- Firefox – type “about:preferences#content” in the address bar, find the Notifications section.
If you wish to make sure that your system is free of malware, scan it with an antivirus tool (there’s Spyhunter for Windows, Combo Cleaner for MacOS, other professional programs), but it is likely that editing notification permissions or, at worst, resetting your browser (scroll down to find the guide for your browser) will be enough to stop all the popup ads.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to remove Y2mate.com Redirects using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Y2mate.com ads install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Y2mate.com Redirects . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Y2mate.com ads easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove Y2mate.com Redirects from macOSDelete Y2mate.com ads from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the Y2mate.com Redirects app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Y2mate.com ads from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Y2mate.com ads, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Y2mate.com ads from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Y2mate.com ads related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Y2mate.com ads from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Y2mate.com ads from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Y2mate.com Redirects and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.