Relying on the data we were able to gather, Weknow.start.me is not a website you would want to use or even visit – it is a browser hijacker. Even though you might think browser hijackers are not that dangerous, we suggest thinking twice and properly evaluate possible damage that can be caused by the infection like this.
Weknow Start Me Hijacker quicklinks
- Why Weknow.start.me Is Listed As Browser Hijacker
- Distribution Methods of Weknow.start.me Virus
- How To Uninstall Weknow.start.me
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Weknow.sart.me Virus
- How to remove Weknow.start.me using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove Weknow.start.me from macOS
It will obviously change the way you are browsing the Internet now and make your web browsing experience much worse. Luckily, this problem can be easily solved – all you have to do is eliminate Weknow.start.me from your computer.
In case you have no previous experience in removing computer viruses, this task might seem to you like a real challenge. That’s why we have decided to inform our readers about this threat and how its’ removal should be carried out. So if your system is infected with this unwanted tool right now, just keep reading the article and learn how to deal with it.
Why Weknow.start.me Is Listed As Browser Hijacker
First of all, we should make it clear – browser hijacker is a type of computer virus (malware) that makes changes to your original or personal settings on the web browser you are using and forces you to visit their websites or use their search engines, whether you like it or not. Cyber criminals design those websites to look appealing and reliable, so a lot of users simply ignore the fact that their computers were hijacked and continue using them without taking action. That’s probably the worst thing you can do in a situation like this – ignoring the virus.
Even though the damage caused by Weknow.start.me might not be directly visible, you should keep in mind that due to this infection you might suffer damage like this:
- changed homepage and/or default search engine;
- other viruses infiltrated into your computer;
- excessive advertisements and redirects while browsing the internet;
- automatically generate various junk files;
- make your computer slower.
As you can see, those symptoms are really not pleasant. In case you are wondering how this infection operates, it’s pretty simple – first of all, it will get added to your web browser as a nex extension or add-on (depending on what web browser you are using). As far as we know, it is compatible with all most common web browsers. Then, it automatically makes changes to your personal preferences and forces you to browse the web the way they want.
It’s done for the obvious reason – to make money by advertising and directing web traffic to affiliated websites. Basically, all browser hijackers are really similar by this mean. We have analyzed a lot of various viruses similar to this one, such as Searchsecureprime.co or Zaxar Games and they all act almost identical. It might also look that Weknow.start.me is somehow affiliated with Webstart.me virus, but in reality, it’s not.
If your web browser is currently infected with Weknow.start.me browser hijacker, we highly recommend not to use it until the virus is completely removed. It should be done in order to ensure the safety of your personal data. You see, Weknow.start.me might be collecting various information about you and some of it might be pretty sensitive. That’s just another way to monetize their malicious plugin. By using the infected web browser you are providing them with whole a lot of data and that’s not a good thing to do because it can be leaked to third parties. This might result in your computer being infected with other similar (or more dangerous) viruses.
Distribution Methods of Weknow.start.me Virus
It’s not a secret that Weknow.start.me is distributed bundled with other free software that can be downloaded from the Internet. That’s a hands down the most popular method to distribute viruses like this one.
That’s why you should be really careful when installing free software downloaded from the Internet. Pay attention to the software that is suggested to you – 9 times out of 10 it can turn out to be malicious or at least potentially unwanted.
Obviously, the best possible way to protect your security against hijackers and other types of malware is to have backup protection – professional anti-malware tool that could analyze your data and software and tell you if something goes wrong. Take a look at our reviews section where you can find our insights on most popular and advance AM tools that can be used to avoid malware.
How To Uninstall Weknow.start.me
You already know that this infection is operating as a browser add-on, so you are probably thinking that it’s enough to remove the extension from your web browser to eliminate Weknow.start.me for good. Unfortunatelly, that’s not how it works. The virus might place some malicious files directly on your computer, so they can be used to restore the infection after it is removed from the web browser. That’s why a lot of users gets frustrated when they see the virus coming back over and over again.
To completely remove Weknow.start.me you should detect and remove all files associated with it. That’s not an easy thing to do manually, so you should download and scan your computer with Spyhunter. This program will do the removal for you – all files will be detected and erased automatically.
In case you are not amused by the idea of downloading another tool into your computer, you can do it manually. It will take more time and you might face some troubles, but it’s worth a try. To make thing easier, we have developed step-by-step instructions on how to remove Weknow.start.me from your computer manually – find them below the article.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to remove Weknow.start.me using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Weknow.start.me Hijacker install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Weknow.start.me . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Weknow.start.me Hijacker easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove Weknow.start.me from macOSDelete Weknow.start.me Hijacker from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the Weknow.start.me app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Weknow.start.me Hijacker from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Weknow.start.me Hijacker, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Weknow.start.me Hijacker from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Weknow.start.me Hijacker related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Weknow.start.me Hijacker from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Weknow.start.me Hijacker from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Weknow.start.me and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.