Searchfly virus is a toolbar that can be installed to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. The program is usually installed to computer together with other applications, for example, free PDF creators, video players and so on. If you were more careful about your downloads from the Internet you could easily avoid such programs. All you have to do is follow all steps of your installations and check if the programs include any additional applications. Do not agree to install any unknown ones.
Once inside computer, Searchfly virus makes some modifications in your browsers. It adds Searchfly toolbar, changes your homepage and default search engine. All these changes are done without users knowledge and consent. That is one of the reasons why Searchfly virus is categorized as a potentially unwanted program.
The program causes tons of redirections to unknown websites and disturbs your browsing activity. If you try to make a search, you will see that Searchfly virus adds many sponsored websites to your search results. Basically, you will not be able to use your browser the way you are used to and also pose risk to your system to get infected. If Searchfly virus redirects you to any infected website you can easily get a malware or other kind of infection. To remove Searchfly virus, follow the instructions below.
Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Searchfly Toolbar listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Searchfly virus from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).