Mega Games Search is a simple browser hijacker that is made to give users quick and easy access to browser games. Besides that, Mega Games Search changes your default search engine to games.globalappz.live, which delivers search results in Yahoo.com. Installing this extension results in more pop-up ads and search engine ads, as well as reduced online privacy.
Mega Games Search quicklinks
- What is Mega Games Search
- How does this hijacker get installed
- How to remove Mega Games Search
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Manually remove Mega Games Search
What is Mega Games Search
Mega Games Search is a browser hijacker that should not be used:
|Type of threat||Browser hijacker,
|Problems with Mega Games Search||Low-quality functionality,
hijacks search results,
shows pop-up ads,
gets installed thanks to low-quality ads
|How it gets installed||Manually and voluntarily,
through pop-up ads and redirects,
by free programs
|Remove Mega Games Search||Uninstall Mega Games Search manually,|
When it is installed in your browser, Mega Games Search causes your search queries to go through the games.globalappz.live website, which is not secure (doesn’t have encryption) and is owned by the same company that owns Mega Games Search – GlobalAppz. This gives the company the chance to track your searches and to control your search results. As long as Mega Games Search is installed, you can’t change your own default search engine.
So, basically, Mega Games Search is an adware extension. It’s totally unnecessary and it wedges itself inbetween you and your web search results, leeching off of your time, inflating load times, injecting ads in the results, and spying on you.
As for the gaming side of this extension, it’s not worth bothering with. All that Mega Games Search does is open a website owned by GlobalAppz that has links to other websites that have browser games. No original games or anything. If you want to reach some specific gaming websites, just save them in your bookmarks (the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+D on Windows, Cmd+D on Mac OS). It’s safer, more private, and gives you more control.
How does this hijacker get installed
It’s unlikely that anyone installs Mega Games Search by finding it on their own. Mega Games Search barely has any reviews from its over 200 thousand users, if they had installed this extension voluntarily, there would definitely be more comments and ratings on the extension. Lack of reviews next to a huge number of installations is a huge red flag and something very common among browser hijackers. Besides Mega Games Search, Mega Music Search and Mega Media Start (also by GlobalAppz) also had the same problem: some suspicious reviews and a couple of real ones, no more than a dozen next to tens of thousands of users.
Mega Games Search is advertised by notification-spamming adware sites like special-offers.online and various monetized link shorteners. These are common in file download sites, such as pirating sites. Ads like that display fake software update prompts and other fake requirements to make people think that they must install the recommended extension.
The cause of malicious ads and Mega Games Search being installed is not necessarily just shady websites showing malicious ads, but also freeware that bundles hijackers. Free programs sometimes take money to offer users to install some junkware. Some random program could have installed Mega Games Search without you even noticing.
How to remove Mega Games Search
You can uninstall Mega Games Search like a normal extension, probably. But it’s advisable to scan your computer with an anti-malware scanner since hijackers like Mega Games Search are advertised by adware viruses and installed by bundlers, and it’s good to know which programs are responsible for infecting your browser. Scan with your anti-malware scanner with all the latest updates installed and PUP detection turned on, or use another reliable tool, like SpyHunter for PC or Combo Cleaner for Mac OS.
You might still need to fix your browser settings, though they should revert on their own. Remember that you are in control of which website serves as your default search engine and which extensions can be installed, and what websites can send you notifications, so don’t be afraid to purge your browser of any suspicious add-ons. Also, check your privacy and security settings to make sure that they’re to your liking.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Manually remove Mega Games Search
TopRemoving Mega Games Search from Chrome
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Google Chrome window. Select “Settings”.
- Click “Extensions” on the left menu bar.
- Go through the extensions list and remove programs you do not need, especially similar to Mega Games Search. Click on the trash bin icon next to Mega Games Search or other add-ons you want to remove.
- Press on the “Remove” button on the Confirmation window.
- If unsure, you can disable them temporarily.
- Restart Chrome.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Mega Games Search, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on the Reset settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
TopRemoving Mega Games Search from Firefox
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Mega Games Search related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.