Ixquick.com virus is a browser hijacker that can be installed to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. It is distributed as a bundle with various free programs that can be easily downloaded from the Internet by anybody. The program makes some changes in your browser settings and replaces your homepage and default search provider with Ixquick.com.
Although it looks like any other search page, it doesn’t provide the same search results as popular search providers, like Google, Yahoo or Bing. Ixquick.com displays lots of sponsored links in any search results. It actually aims to bring more users to several commercial pages and increase their traffic. This is the main goal of this application and its creators actually get paid for promoting affiliate links.
The best way to prevent from receiving such applications to your system is to be more careful when it comes to installing freeware from the Internet. Always choose Custom installation and do not allow any changes to be made in your computer. Take off any check marks next to suggestions to install additional programs or add new functions to your browsers. This way you will avoid many potentially unwanted programs.
Remove Ixquick.com from your computer as soon as you detect it on your browser. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstall ALL programs added on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this virus install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Reimage, SpyHunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How To Ixquick.com virus from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove Ixquick.com from the list
How To remove Ixquick.com virus from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove Ixquick.com virus from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Ixquick.com virus removal tools
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Ixquick.com virus, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Reimage or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.