Home Codec Pack is a fake application that is result of trojan infection. Typically, you get infected by browsing malicious or compromised websites without adequate firewall or internet security protection. You can also get Home Codec Pack after installing fake, infected software.
The main symptom of Home Codec Pack is that your movies stop playing and you will be asked to update your codecs – a piece of software that is responsible for displaying particular type of movies. Typical messages you see look like this:
Your codec version is too old
This video format is not supported
This video cannot be played due to old version of your codecs
Windows Media Player cannot find the specified file. Be sure the path is typed correctly. If it is, the file does not exist at the specified location, or the computer where the file is stored is offline.
File cannot be played. Codec not found
Your player cannot display this video file.
Although there are many free and paid versions of codecs, there are easy ways to distinguish that Home Codec Pack is malware:
1. All your movie files stopped playing and are asking for updated codec
2. Your antivirus programs might get disabled
3. Default windows movie samples are not playing as well (these codecs are included by Microsoft for free).
4. You are asked to pay for codec on websites that you never heard before.
You should definitely remove Home Codec Pack no matter how trustworthy it may look. Though Home Codec Pack is promised to have a full package of codecs enabling you to watch video in the best quality possible, paying for this software will help their makers develop more fake software, including fake antiviruses.
To get rid of Home Codec Pack and repair your system do following:
1. Scan your PC with reputable anti-malware programs like spyhunter, Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Clean infection files these programs find.
2. Reinstal codecs from reputable location.
3. Keep your antivirus and anti-malware programs up to date.
Automatic Malware removal tools