FreeLocalWeather is the name of the browser extension that was developed to fit the Google Chrome web browser. Unfortunately, it is not quite reliable nor useful – cyber security experts categorize it as a browser hijacker. What does that mean? Well, your personal settings will be alternated and you will be forced to use the web browsing differently. Basically, it changes the approach you browse the web and you can’t do anything about it until the virus is completely removed.
Freelocalweather Extension quicklinks
- Why FreeLocalWeather Is Unwanted
- What Consequences Can Be Caused By FreeLocalWeather Virus
- Elimination of FreeLocalWeather Tool
- Automatic Malware removal tools
Even though that’s just an extension, eliminating it might be more complicated than you think. Cyber criminals intentionally make the removal of FreeLocalWeather complicated, so regular users couldn’t do that on their own and would continue using it. Luckily you found a way to our blog, where we will provide you with all the tools and information needed to eliminate FreeLocalWeather extension from Google Chrome.
Also, in this article, you will find the most relevant information about FreeLocalWeather and other malware infections that are similar, so please continue reading.
Why FreeLocalWeather Is Unwanted
First of all, to say that FreeLocalWeather is unwanted is an understatement. It can cause all sorts of cyber security problems, including but not limited to:
- collecting and leaking your personal data;
- infiltrating other potentially unwanted programs into your computer;
- displaying additional, excessive advertisements;
- redirecting you to other websites;
- possibly slowing your computer down.
Officially this browser extension promise to deliver on-point weather forecasts that are easily accessible, right on your web browser. It claims that it’s powered by Ask.com, which is a legitimate search provider, but in reality, your settings will be set differently. They change your new tab page settings so it would be easier for them to control your web browsing – this way they can collect your personal information, browsing history, search queries, and also display sponsored content to you and make money this way.
Once FreeLocalWeather is successfully activated on your web browser, you will be forced to visit their unique landing page every time a new tab is opened. Some users find this website to be convenient and good-looking, so they simply ignore the fact that their web browser was hijacked and continue to use it this way.
Ignoring FreeLocalWeather is probably the worst thing you can do in this situation. It might actually provide weather forecast for your local area right on a new tab, but it’s also full of additional threats. The website was crafted by MyWay, which infamous developer of browser hijackers and adware infections. By the way, Myway hijacker is probably the most common browser hijacker online, so that says a lot.
What Consequences Can Be Caused By FreeLocalWeather Virus
Now that you know how FreeLocalWeather is operating and why it is unwanted, it’s time to reveal how it can ruin your security. Since it is set as your new tab page, you are probably going to use MyWay search for your web searches. Keep in mind that they promise you enhanced web search that can deliver more accurate results, so that’s tempting as well.
Unfortunately, most dangers come from searching the web through this website. First of all, all search queries you submit there will be collected, so in case you reveal some of your sensitive data, it can be easily leaked to third parties. Also, those search results can’t be counted as reliable. They simply put sponsored results before actual and relevant content, which makes web searches really ineffective. Besides that, you can end up on websites that are potentially dangerous.
On top of that, we have mentioned that FreeLocalWeather can infiltrate other malicious or unwanted tools into your system. Actually, right after this extension is installed on your web browser, it will offer you to install additional Ask bar, as shown in the picture below.
Elimination of FreeLocalWeather Tool
It’s probably obvious that FreeLocalWeather should be removed from your web browser and computer – as soon as possible. To do that effectively, you might need some help from anti-malware software, such as Spyhunter. Just install one of those tools and scan your computer with of them and the rest will be done automatically.
In case you don’t feel like downloading additional anti-malware software, there is a way to do it manually. It can be tricky and requires some special knowledge, therefore we have prepared a removal guide – scroll down below the article to find it. It is a detailed step-by-step instructions on how to remove FreeLocalWeather manually by your own.
Automatic Malware removal tools
TopHow To remove FreeLocalWeather Extension from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to FreeLocalWeather Extension, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
TopHow to remove FreeLocalWeather Extension from Google Chrome on Mac:
- Open Chrome browser.
- Enter in the url field “chrome://extensions” address and hit Enter.
- Find FreeLocalWeather Extension on the extensions list and click on the recycle bin icon next to it.
- Click on 'Chrome' button at the top left corner. Select 'Preferences' on a drop-down menu box.
- Find 'Search' options on Settings tab. If your search engine is changed, click 'Manage Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- On the same page find 'Show home button' checkbox and change your homepage.
- On the 'Preferences' menu window, scroll down to the bottom and find 'Reset settings' button. Click it.
- Confirm your selection and click 'Reset' on the following window.