BlockAndSurf Ads (also, BlockNSurf Ads) are the result of web page modifying adware. Such malicious programs are installed together with various free offers from shady sites. Scammers download programs like Java, Ccleaner, Firefox, PDF creators and M3 rippers. Then they create custom installers to these applications so that during the installation you will be asked to get lots of crappy software and adware. In the worst cases there is no legitimate program at all and the installer will fail claiming that e.g. PDF creator is not found but the adware like BlockAndSurf Ads will be running already.
This adware will change the look of popular shopping portals by adding more advertisements (signed by BlockAndSurf). There you will see a couple of similar products on other sites. If you click on any of them, you will be redirected to their product pages and some sort of discount code will be offered in hopes that you will buy a similar item (even if not exactly the same one).
I think that modifying other pages without a page owner consent is a dishonest practice. Additionally, Block and Surf is distributed without informing the PC owner about ads properly. Such software breaches your privacy as well – your online browsing is tracked by using cookies and other techniques, the gathered data is later used by marketing companies for displaying targeted ads.
Additionally, such adware is never installed without more computer parasites. Such parasites range from hijackers to fake system optimisation utilities that force you into paying for useless registry defragmentation. Thus it is important to scan your PC with anti-malware programs like Spyhunter.
BlockAndSurf Ads removal guide
Using Control Panel to remove the main BlockAndSurf Ads components and installers
- Go to Control Panel. On Windows XP/Vista/7 open Start -> Control Panel , Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall . On Windows 8 enter Control Panel in the search box, then look for Uninstall a program. You may need to confirm that you are the administrator on this PC, in both cases.
- Look for BlockAndSurf and /or similar looking items on the list of programs. By default, I recommend removing Yontoo, WebCake, anything “savings” or “coupon” related. Scanning with Anti-Malware programs like Spyhunter or Stopzilla might give a good idea of what programs you should remove from there as well.
- Close Control Panel.
Removing BlockAndSurf Ads from Internet Explorer
- Press Wrench icon->Manage Add-ons.
- Go through Toolbars and extensions. Remove everything related to BlockAndSurf and items you do not know that are made not by Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Oracle or Adobe.
- Close the Options.
Removing BlockAndSurf Ads from Firefox
- Enter about:addons in URL field.
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything BlockAndSurf related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe probably you do not need it.
- Optionally, reset Firefox: go to Firefox ->Help (Help in menu for OSX users) -> Troubleshooting Information. Then Reset Firefox.
Removing BlockAndSurf Ads from Chrome
- Enter chrome://extensions in url field.
- Go through extensions list and remove programs you do not need, especially similar to BlockAndSurf. If unsure, you can disable them temporarily.
- Restart Chrome.
- Optionally, you can enter chrome://settings in URL bar , press Advanced settings, scroll to the bottom of the list and press Reset browser settings.
- If you found an extension that can’t be removed from the browser, it has either to be removed from Control Panel or with antimalware programs (like Spyhunter, malwarebytes) or program uninstallers (like RevoUninstaller).
Automatic Malware removal tools