Astromenda.com virus is a typical new tab/homepage hijacker. It causes many browser problems: search hijacking, pop-up ads, and privacy issues. It’s detected as “suspicious” by a few antivirus scanners (Virustotal.com).
Besides hijacking your search and home page settings, Astromenda Search (could be also detected as WSE_Astromenda) might install a Windows Service and run on startup.
Astromenda Com Virus quicklinks
- Problems posed by Astromenda.com
- Privacy issues
- Unwanted installation
- Unhelpful changes to browser settings
- How to remove Astromenda.com
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- How to remove Astromenda Search using Windows Control Panel
About Astromenda.com virus:
|Dangers posed by Astromenda.com virus||It doesn’t encrypt your data,
it makes unhelpful changes to browser settings,
it’s related to other browser hijackers.
|How Astromenda Search is installed||It comes included in the installers of other programs and is often installed unintentionally.|
|How to remove Astromenda.com||Uninstall browser add-ons related to Astromenda.com,
remove shortcut infections.
Problems posed by Astromenda.com
First of all, the connection to Astromenda.com is not secure because it is not encrypted. This means that someone who can see your traffic, such as your internet service provider, can see what you search for on Astromenda.com.
This is in contrast to sites like Bing, Google, and others who do encrypt your traffic (and have for many years now) so that outsiders can’t know what you do on those sites.
Encryption (signified by “Https” in site addresses and the lock icon next to them) is important for online privacy (Ahrefs.com). Modern websites should always use encryption, especially when they transfer data as sensitive as your search queries because this data could include your medical information and other very private information.
In addition, the Astromenda Search extension might log your browsing history, just like many browser add-ons do. This data can be used to show you relevant ads based on your browsing habits.
There’s no easy way to download the Astromenda.com virus intentionally. Officially, it should be installed together with Astromenda Browser, which advertised as a “step closer to better searching”. However, there is no way of downloading it voluntarily. It uses other, more dishonesst techniques for distribution.
For instance, one popular method of spreading malware is bundling. Free programs include optional offers – ads for other programs (Google: Unwanted bundled software is way more aggressive than malware). This means that by installing one freeware app, you could also be offered to get additional products. Among them you might be offered to get the Astromenda.com search engine or browser.
Unhelpful changes to browser settings
Astromenda.com replaces your home page, new tab, and search engine settings. It doesn’t let you add your own links or change your background image, it’s objectively inferior to default new tab pages. On top of that, Astromenda.com includes dead links, such as the Games link.
Once the Astromenda.com virus is installed, you might be presented with propositions to synchronize your Google and Facebook accounts. This means that the website will be able to gain access to these accounts. Since we have already explained the security issues in this search engine, we do not think that logging into your accounts through Astromenda.com hijacker is a good idea.
In addition to all of these suspicious features, we should also mention other products that have been introduced by owners of Astromenda.com hijacker. It has been determined that Binkiland.com is also one of the related infections. In addition to this search engine, there are such versions as Taplika.com, Oursurfing.com, Trovi.com, and Mystartsearch.com It is understandable that you cannot trust developers that have been creating rogue search platforms for the purpose of promoting sponsors’ advertisements and links. It is true that results to search queries will be filled with URLs to unknown, third-party websites.
How to remove Astromenda.com
You should remove Astromenda Search from your system as soon as you detect it on your computer. First, you will have to remove it from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list. Unfortunately, in most cases, if you launch only the uninstaller of this browser extension, the updater of the program alone will be removed. This means that your browser settings will remain unchanged and you will still experience these redirections. Scanning with Spyhunter, Combo Cleaner or other reputable anti-spyware tool should solve this issue. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
Remove the add-on and Astromenda.com should disappear from your browser. It’s also recommended to review your other extensions, your search settings, and your new tab/homepage settings. The instructions can all be found below.
If you’ve removed the Astromenda.com add-ons, other malware, and checked your browser settings – but your browser still opens the Astromenda.com page on startup, try this:
- Right-click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Astromenda.com from the target field.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to remove Astromenda Search using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Astromenda.com Virus install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Astromenda Search . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Astromenda.com Virus easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
TopHow To remove Astromenda.com Virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Astromenda Search, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Astromenda.com Virus from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Astromenda.com Virus related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
- Enter “about:config” in URL bar and hit enter. This will open the settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset it. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab.
- If the settings revert and the scan with anti-malware programs is clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Astromenda.com Virus from Microsoft Edge:TopMicrosoft Edge (old)
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on More actions button (three dots at the top right corner of the screen), then choose Settings.
- In the Settings window, click Choose what to clear button.
- Select everything that you want to remove and click Clear.
- Right click on Start and choose Task manager.
- In the Processes tab right click on Microsoft Edge and select Go to details.
- In the Details look for entries named Microsoft Edge, right click on each of them and select End Task to end these entries.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Astromenda.com Virus from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Astromenda.com Virus and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.