Aartemis.com virus is one more browser hijacker that attacks Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The nuisance of a program gets inside computers bundled with free programs that you can download from the Internet, then takes over the browser and modifies the settings.
Aartemis Com Virus quicklinks
- How Aartemis.com gets installed
- Remove Aartemis.com from your computer
- Automatic Malware removal tools
Once the hijacker virus is installed on a computer, it hijacks your browser entirely and makes annoying modifications there. You will soon notice that your homepage and default search engine are changed to Aartemis.com and you cannot browse in the usual way like before. For example, the program will include tons of sponsored websites in your search results. Once you click on such a result thinking you will open a site relevant to your inquiry, you will get redirected to one of the websites that the Aartemis.com virus advertises.
Interruptions caused by you being redirected to various affiliated websites are very annoying. You will not only spend much more time for accessing the websites that you want to and finding information that you need, but also you will have to face an increased risk to be infected. Aartemis.com virus can reroute you to various malicious websites full of malware and other infections. Although it looks like a regular search engine, it brings more problems than it offers services.
Thus, this extension should be removed the first chance you get.
|Similar viruses to Aartemis.com
|Harm possibly caused
|Lost productivity because of all the changed settings.
Bad ads might download serious malware or show dangerous websites.
Can’t customize the search engine and the home page because they’re hijacked.
Additional web functions aren’t easily accessible because the home page has been replaced.
|Sources of the hijacker
|Use automatic scans to get rid of adware (SpyHunter).
Automatically or manually remove adware browser extensions.
Restore browser settings.
How Aartemis.com gets installed
So, considering that Aartemis.com barely has any useful functions, how does anyone choose to install and use this fake search engine? Well, they don’t.
Hijackers like this one use a couple of simple ways to sneak into people’s computers. The first one is freeware bundling. Bundlers are programs or modified installers that look like a single program when you’re downloading it but, if run normally, installs multiple applications on your computer. Usually, the bundlers are programs like free video recorders, players and so on. This is a popular way to distribute various new applications, especially ones that aren’t very attractive on their own.
Aartemis.com can also use malicious and deceptive ads to get people to install it. An example is being redirected from a file-sharing website after clicking the download button of a file. The site you land on also has a download button — but it’s a completely different website that’s actually spreading browser hijackers or some more serious malware. This type of malicious ads can be caused by infected websites or an adware program on your computer.
Remove Aartemis.com from your computer
Remove Aartemis.com virus as soon as you detect it on your system. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this virus install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or another reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How To remove Aartemis.com virus from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the Aartemis.com from the list
How To remove Aartemis.com virus from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove Aartemis.com virus from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
TopRemove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional): If your browser opens Aartemis.com virus page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Aartemis.com virus part from target field.