12kotov.ru is a Russian domain that has incorporated many facilities in it. As soon as you visit it, the layout of the webpage does instantly give you the chills and a strong, intuitive sense of this site’s unreliability. The page appears functional with currency rates, daily horoscopes, weather forecasts and a news feed. However, when we tried to use the search box, provided by 12kotov.ru, we were surprised to be redirected to go.mail.ru. It similar to other Russian browser hijackers like Rambler.ru and Howtonews.ru.
About 12kotov.ru virus
We did an additional analysis of 12kotov.ru virus in March of 2018. We started by taking a look at the web traffic in order to figure out which countries are haunted by this browser hijacker. Since this is a parasite, targeting Russian-speaking people, the results did not surprise us. The biggest numbers of victims might come from Ukraine and Russia, but the infection is also active in Belarus, India and Kazakhstan. Furthermore, we noticed that Russian browser hijackers frequently presented Russian ads, or initiate redirection to Marketgid.com deceptive website.
Additionally, we also found more than a few browser hijackers that look very similar to the 12kotov.ru virus. Go-search.ru, Yapages.ru, Hophitnews.ru and Time-to-read.ru are all very comparable websites. You should bear in mind that none of these search engines are appropriate for usage as they will introduce you to a lot of vicious content. Furthermore, we also noticed that 12kotov.ru hijacker is promoted in various social networking sites like VKontakte, Facebook and Youtube (Social media, the gateway for malware).
12kotov.ru has been detected in the June of 2016 and it has been three months in which it has proven to be persistent in trying to infect a number of devices. Such browser hijackers are not malicious as they do not do any actual damage like locking your screen or corrupting files. It belongs to the pile of parasites and their damaging side effect might include malware infections.
If you carelessly enter those domains that are sponsored by 12kotov.ru virus, your destination might not be as safe as you would want it to be. Please visit this domain at your own risk. You can see the shady nature of this domain just by paying attention to the so-called games it presents to users in a form of a banner. Usually this includes offensive images that should not be interacted with it. If you do, you might be transferred to a domain, plotting against your device.
Security researchers insist on calling those domains, altering browsers’ DNS setting without permission, browser hijackers (or hijackware). Since 12kotov.ru virus seems to do exactly that, this webpage is classified as one of those rogue intruders. Beget Ltd, a Russian company that specializes in web hosting, domain registration and other facilities, is the founder of 12kotov.ru browser hijacker. It can also be described as a redirect virus, because even if your computer is not infected with this particular malware, you can experience random redirects to this website.
Another virus really similar to this one is Onepagesnews.net and you can see that even the layout of the homepage looks almost the same. That’s just another red flag – this website and add-on is definitely not reliable and can cause you all sorts of cyber security problems.
After finding the way to infect computers, 12kotov.ru virus quickly alters your settings to make its domain your homepage, browser new tab and the selected search engine (Browser hijacker). From these convenient positions, 12kotov.ru virus redirects to its website as much as possible in order to generate web traffic. The more infected people, the more revenue can be generated. Furthermore, the sponsors of 12kotov.ru are promoted in the search results page. When you enter your search queries, the uppermost links will belong to third-party sources, affiliated with 12kotov.ru virus. Some of these partners might have no intention of being harmful or intrusive.
However, for the most part, domains that have decided to sponsor 12kotov.ru, posses shady thoughts in their minds. For example, rogue URLs can be infected with malicious programs that get successfully implanted into computer systems (some times people visit these webpages on purpose, but more frequently 12kotov.ru browser hijacker automatically redirects to its sponsors without validation from users).
Other detriments might include: slow task management by your computer system, unsafe advertisements, tracking of your personal data and infections with additional malicious programs. The longer you keep 12kotov.ru virus going strong, the more issues your system will have to deal with. Due to this infection on your computer you can also experience following alerts on your browser status bar: “Waiting for 12kotov.ru”, “Transferring data from 12kotov.ru”, “Looking up 12kotov.ru”, “Read 12kotov.ru”, “Connected to 12kotov.ru”.
Here is a video tutorial showing how to manually solve 12kotov.ru problem on Google Chrome Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox web browsers. However, you should keep in mind that a scan with an professional anti-malware tool is necessary to make sure that your computer is secure even if you succeed to remove this hijacker manually and it seems that no symptoms can be noticed anymore.
Distribution Methods of 12kotov.ru virus
12kotov.ru browser hijacker has been reported to be installed together with freeware or shareware. Free programs are bundled with additional software. These additions usually are potentially unwanted programs or viruses. Hackers can successfully get away with this scam as it is legal and actually, possible to avoid. User only have to opt for advanced/custom modes of installations. This mode provides the list of the recommended software (that is how the additional software is labeled) and gives the privilege to deselect applications you do not wish to install. 12kotov.ru virus probably was in one of those stations while users prepared a free program for usage, but selected the basic mode and everything got installed automatically.
Spyhunter have all proved themselves to be very efficient and professional anti-malware tools. 12kotov.ru virus will be eliminated by these three super ninjas without any obstacles and delays. A manual removal is known to be not as easy. Our recommendation would be to employ it if you have already executed similar tasks in the past.
12kotov Ru Virus quicklinks
- About 12kotov.ru virus
- Distribution Methods of 12kotov.ru virus
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Manual removal of 12kotov.ru virus
- How to remove 12kotov.ru virus using Windows Control Panel
Automatic Malware removal tools
Manual removal of 12kotov.ru virus
How to remove 12kotov.ru virus using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like 12kotov.ru virus install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to 12kotov.ru virus . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make 12kotov.ru virus easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
TopHow To remove 12kotov.ru virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to 12kotov.ru virus, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove 12kotov.ru virus from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything 12kotov.ru virus related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove 12kotov.ru virus from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove 12kotov.ru virus from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall 12kotov.ru virus and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.