Websearch.webisgreat.info virus - How to remove?
Websearch.webisgreat.info virus is a browser hijacker that is promoted using free downloads and that can affect your Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. The program is usually installed together with various freeware, like music players, PDF creators and other tools that anybody can download from the Internet. Once inside, it replaces your homepage and default search provider with Websearch.webisgreat.info.
The purpose of this hijacker is to display sponsored links when users are making searches. Since Websearch.webisgreat.info looks like most of search engines, many users try using it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make your browsing very productive. In fact, it will make you visit many unwanted websites that may not even be related to your search queries. The creators of Websearch.webisgreat.info virus are making money for increasing traffic of these pages. Alas it complicates users’ browsing the Internet and makes it a very unpleasant one.
The best prevention mean against Websearch.webisgreat.info virus and many other browser hijackers is to be more careful when you download any freeware to your system. If you are offered to change you start page or make other modifications in your browser during the installation process, make sure you refuse that. Usually, you will have to deselect several pre-checked confirmation boxes at some installation steps, so make sure you don’t skip them.
If your browser was already infected, remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus as soon as you detect it. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this hijacker install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Reimage, SpyHunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
Special removal instructions of Websearch.webisgreat.info virus
How to remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus using Windows Control Panel
Many hijackers and adware like webisgreat virus install some of their components as regular windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start->Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key->Search and enter Control Panel (Windows 8);
- Choose Uninstall Program;
- Go through a list of programs and select entries related to Websearch.webisgreat.info virus .
- Click uninstall button.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Reimage, Spyhunter or Malwarebytes to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
This method will not remove some of browser plugins therefore proceed to the next part of the removal guide.
Removing webisgreat virus from your browsers
Top Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional): If your browser opens webisgreat virus page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete webisgreat virus part from target field.
Top How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools->Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and select Setting and click on Manage search engines.
- Remove malicious search websites in a new Search engines window.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to webisgreat virus, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on the Reset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.Top How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Firefox:
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Websearch.webisgreat.info virus related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Enter “about:config” in URL bar and hit enter. This will open the settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset it. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab.
- If the settings revert and the scan with anti-malware programs is clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options-> General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
Top How to remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus virus from Internet Explorer:
How to remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click Change search defaults.
- Remove the webisgreat virus from the list.
How to remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons.
- Go through Toolbars and extensions. Remove everything related to webisgreat virus and items you do not know that are made not by Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Oracle or Adobe.
- Select Search Providers.
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
- Close the Options.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Gear icon on the top right corner to open the Internet Explorer menu, select Internet options and choose General tab. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Apply.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Websearch.webisgreat.info virus, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Press on the Gear icon->Internet Options.
- Choose the Advanced tab and click on the Reset button.
- Select “Delete personal settings” checkbox and click on the Reset button.
- Click on the Close button on the confirmation box, then close your browser.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.