Websearch.webisgreat.info virus - How to remove?
What is Websearch.webisgreat.info virus?
Websearch.webisgreat.info virus is a browser hijacker that is promoted using free downloads and that can affect your Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. The program is usually installed together with various freeware, like music players, PDF creators and other tools that anybody can download from the Internet. Once inside, it replaces your homepage and default search provider with Websearch.webisgreat.info.
The purpose of this hijacker is to display sponsored links when users are making searches. Since Websearch.webisgreat.info looks like most of search engines, many users try using it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make your browsing very productive. In fact, it will make you visit many unwanted websites that may not even be related to your search queries. The creators of Websearch.webisgreat.info virus are making money for increasing traffic of these pages. Alas it complicates users’ browsing the Internet and makes it a very unpleasant one.
The best prevention mean against Websearch.webisgreat.info virus and many other browser hijackers is to be more careful when you download any freeware to your system. If you are offered to change you start page or make other modifications in your browser during the installation process, make sure you refuse that. Usually, you will have to deselect several pre-checked confirmation boxes at some installation steps, so make sure you don’t skip them.
If your browser was already infected, remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus as soon as you detect it. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this hijacker install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
Special removal instructions of Websearch.webisgreat.info virus
How to remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus using Windows Control Panel
Many hijackers and adware like webisgreat virus install some of their components as regular windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from control panel. To access it, do following.
- Start->Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key->Search and enter Control panel (Windows 8);
- Choose Uninstall Program;
- Go through list of programs and uninstall entries related to Websearch.webisgreat.info virus
and related parasites like Websearch.eazytosearch.info virus , Websearch.wonderfulsearches.info virus , Websearch.searchinweb.info virus , Websearch.searchissimple.info virus , Websearch.fastsearchings.info virus , Websearch.searchiseasy.info virus , Websearch.flyandsearch.info virus , Websearch.fastosearch.info virus , Websearch.wisesearch.info virus , Websearch.awsomesearchs.info virus .
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter, Malwarebytes and Stopzilla to identify other programs that might be part of this infection.
This method will not remove some of browser plugins thus proceed to next part of removal guide.
Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional):
If your browser opens webisgreat virus page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete webisgreat virus part from target field.
How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar
- Select Settings
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the webisgreat virus from the list
How to remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
Video removal instructions for Websearch.webisgreat.info virus