Websearch.webisgreat.info virus - How to remove?
Websearch.webisgreat.info virus is a browser hijacker that is promoted using free downloads and that can affect your Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. The program is usually installed together with various freeware, like music players, PDF creators and other tools that anybody can download from the Internet. Once inside, it replaces your homepage and default search provider with Websearch.webisgreat.info.
The purpose of this hijacker is to display sponsored links when users are making searches. Since Websearch.webisgreat.info looks like most of search engines, many users try using it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make your browsing very productive. In fact, it will make you visit many unwanted websites that may not even be related to your search queries. The creators of Websearch.webisgreat.info virus are making money for increasing traffic of these pages. Alas it complicates users’ browsing the Internet and makes it a very unpleasant one.
The best prevention mean against Websearch.webisgreat.info virus and many other browser hijackers is to be more careful when you download any freeware to your system. If you are offered to change you start page or make other modifications in your browser during the installation process, make sure you refuse that. Usually, you will have to deselect several pre-checked confirmation boxes at some installation steps, so make sure you don’t skip them.
If your browser was already infected, remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus as soon as you detect it. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this hijacker install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the Websearch.webisgreat.info from the list
How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove Websearch.webisgreat.info virus from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).