WebCake - How to remove?
What is WebCake?
WebCake is an adware that is supposed to improve your browsing experience but in fact the program creates lots of problems on your system. Although it claims to be a great tool that can provide you the best offers and discount coupons, as well as an option to compare prices of certain products and services, it brings more inconveniences than benefits. The application was noticed to be infiltrated to computers without users’ consent and for this reason it is categorized as a potentially unwanted program.
WebCake is usually installed to computers together with free downloads from the Internet. It can be added to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. The program is not considered to be a malware and it doesn’t damage the system directly. However, it creates lots of situations that increase your chances of getting infected and in general disturbs your work quite badly. WebCake causes a bunch of ads being displayed on your computer while you are browsing the Internet, especially if you are visiting some shopping websites. Basically, it displays ads with coupons that provide various discounts and inform about offers for the items you are interested.
Most likely, the program will replace your homepage and search providers without your permission. When Webcake infects PC without other hijackers, it will use its own “search engine”, aka search.getwebcake.com. In most cases you will be hijacked by other parasites though, as it rarely comes alone.
You should also know that WebCake can track your browsing history and reach other information that can be sold to third parties. Usually, such data is used for marketing purposes. There is no doubt that you have to remove WebCake from your system immediately after detecting its traces on your computer.
Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see WebCake listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. According to the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on ie7 click change search defaults;
- Remove WebCake from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list;
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic WebCake removal tools
Manual WebCake removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove WebCake, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other WebCake infected files and get help in WebCake removal by using Spyhunter scanner.