Search.installmac.com - How to remove?
Search.installmac.com is a browser hijacker that attacks Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari browsers. It is a specific search engine that is related to Genieo Search browser hijacker which also attacks PC’s. Search.installmac.com targets Mac Computers mainly. The program is categorized as a potentially unwanted one because of the methods it uses to infiltrate and further activities on the infected computers.
Search.installmac.com is installed to computers bundled with other programs, like video players, PDF creators and so on. Sometimes users can be convinced to download it as a useful software. Once inside the program modifies browser settings and replaces previous homepage and default search provider. If you try making a search, you will see that Search.installmac.com includes tons of sponsored links in its list of results and also displays numerous ads.
The purpose of Search.installmac.com is to promote various websites by redirecting to them while users are browsing the Internet. The program seeks to boost their traffic. What is more, the application can collect information about your browsing habits and use it for various purposes, mainly marketing related ones. The browser hijacker can also access your private data.
Remove Search.installmac.com as soon as you detect it on your computer. Change your search providers and homepage manually on the browser that got infected. Follow the instructions below depending which browser was infected:
Top How to remove Search.installmac.com from Google Chrome on Mac:
- Click on 'Chrome' button at the top left corner. Select 'Preferences' on a drop-down menu box.
- On the preferences menu select 'Extensions' tab.
- Find Search.installmac.com on the extensions list and click on the recycle bin icon next to it.
- Click on 'Preferences' again and find 'Search' options on Settings tab. If your search engine is changed, click 'Manage Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- On the same page find 'Show home button' checkbox and change your homepage.
- On the 'Preferences' menu window, scroll down to the bottom and find 'Reset settings' button. Click it.
- Confirm your selection and click 'Reset' on the following window.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press cmd+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions list, remove everything Search.installmac.com related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Enter “about:config” in URL bar and hit enter. This will open the settings page
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Preferences-> General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
Top How to remove Search.installmac.com from Safari:
Remove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall installmac and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Search.installmac.com, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.