Hola Search - How To Remove?
Hola Search is a browser hijacker that can be added to Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or other web browsers. This application got injected into your computer after you have downloaded free software form the Internet. It usually comes bundled with free applications. Even though there is an official website of this browser hijacker, namely, hola.org, the minority of users download it from there.
This malicious toolbar changes your homepage, default search engine and new tab page to Holasearch.com. The new search tool looks like any other, as regards its interface. It offers to search the web, images, videos, news. The browser extension does also contain shortcuts to Gmail, Google calendar and Yahoo! maps. Yet, not many know that it generates money for its developers by displaying advertisements. These do not necessarily have to be pop-up ads. They might take the form of banners, links, etc. These ads take place on the websites you are rendered with, after you have performed a search with Hola engine. Additionally, the small number of non-affiliate web pages, you are presented with, will stand side by side to sponsored 3rd party advertising domains. And you can never know, if you click on the link that is truly relevant to your search query or that is promoted.
Although the program doesn’t harm your system directly, it can redirect you to malicious websites via ads displayed or trick you into clicking on an infected link listed in your search results. The worst thing about Hola Search is that it infiltrates into computers without users’ consent. The program usually comes bundled with freeware, and you may not always notice that it is being installed onto your machine. If you choose custom installation, you will probably be able to avoid installing Hola Search. All you need to do is to deselect any options to install additional applications, that you are not aware of. If you hesitate, check the reviews of the particular app to decide whether you really want to have it running on your PC.
Go to to Start -> Control Panel, click on “Uninstall Program” on Programs area. Look for anything related to Hola Search or Hola Hola toolbar on a list of programs and click of Uninstall/Change button next to it. Make sure there are no browser settings freezer like BrowserProtect installed ( Spyhunter or adwcleaner might help detecting these parasites).
Depending on what browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
- Open IE and go to ‘Tools‘ → ”Manage Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and uninstall everything related to Hola Search from the list.
- Choose ‘Search Providers’ → choose the search engine you used before and make it your default search provider. Additionally, select ‘Web Search’, click ‘Disable suggestions’ to disable it.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Internet Options’ and select ‘General’ tab. Click ‘Use default’ or enter your own website name, google.com or other. Finally, click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ → ‘Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Extensions’ → Hola Search and click ‘Uninstall’.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Options’. Finally, reset the startup homepage or change it to google.com.
For Google Chrome:
- Click on the icon ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’, select ‘Options’.
- Choose ‘Basic’ Options and change Google Chrome homepage to google.com or any other browser and then click the ‘Manage search engines…’ button.
- Choose ‘Google’ and make it your default search engine.
Finally, run a full system scan using a reputable antispyware program, for example, Spyhunter. Don’t forget upgrading it to its latest version before performing system scan.