Default-search.net Virus - How To Remove?
Default-search.net virus is a browser hijacker that seeks to increase traffic of certain websites and make financial profit this way. The program can affect Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. It is not difficult to notice this application on your computer as once inside, it will replace your homepage and default search provider with Default-search.net. It displays search results using Yahoo search engine at the moment, however, it might change at any point.
The program is usually installed to computers together with other applications that you can download from the Internet. It is distributed with such tools like, Linkey and Optimizer Pro. You should be very careful when getting any programs from the Internet that are free of charge. You can avoid installing unwanted applications by paying more attention to the installation steps of the software that you are downloading from the Internet. If you see any options that are already selected for you and that indicate about installing unknown programs, you should always deselect them.
If your computer has already been affected by Default-search.net virus, your browsing will become completely unbearable. You will not be able to make any searches without interruptions. What is more, Default-search.net virus can collect information about your browsing habits and send it to the third parties which can use it for marketing in the future.
To remove Default-search.net virus, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstall ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this virus install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Reimage, SpyHunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
Default Search search engine is protected from change using a “Settings Manager” program. You should uninstall it from Control Panel before changing any settings in your browser or it will come back after restart.
Special removal instructions of Default search virus
How to remove Default-search.net virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click on Change search defaults;
- Remove Default-search.net from the list.
How to remove Default-search.net virus from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How to remove Default-search.net virus from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Default-search.net virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on the browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list;
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose ‘Open blank page’ (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too);
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.
Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional):
If your browser opens Default-search.net page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Default-search.net part from target field.