Babylon toolbar - How to remove?
Babylon is a set of language translation tools developed by Babylon LTD. They allow translating web content into other languages. These tools include Babylon toolbar which changes default search provider to search.babylon.com. The installation might include other toolbars too. This software is quite annoying by default.
Why we have decided to list Babylon toolbar as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUP)
- Babylon toolbar hijacks user searches by default. The search provider is changed without any reason related to providing better results, just for monetary gain. That is one of the reasons people call this software Babylon redirect virus.
- This toolbar does not uninstall fully. By default, it DOES NOT store previous search provider settings and thus you will have to reset them manually. It is malicious on itself.
- Babylon software is distributed with unrelated software that provides coupon deals and similar. It might also be distributed by other questionable software in so called software bundles.
- We have seen cases when visitors claim having Babylon redirects without installing software themselves, thus we assume that it might be distributed by malware makers too in hopes to gain more money.
- Babylon is listed as PUP by several anti-malware vendors including Spyhunter and Spybot S&D.
While we do not list Babylon Toolbar as spyware, we still recommend uninstalling in the most cases. You should leave Babylon installed only if you have installed it by yourself. This is applied for almost all toolbars.
Automatic Babylon toolbar removal toolsWe might be affiliated with some of these programs. Full information is available in disclosure
How to uninstall Babylon and stop the redirects
Babylon toolbar has uninstaller included in most of the cases. However, this might not be the case if it was installed by other toolbar or by some sort of fake Codec. Additionally, uninstaller does not restore default search provider, so you might be stuck with annoying search redirects.
Top Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional): If your browser opens Babylon toolbar page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Babylon toolbar part from target field.
Top How To remove Babylon toolbar from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools->Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and select Setting and click on Manage search engines.
- Remove malicious search websites in a new Search engines window.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Babylon hijacker, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on the Reset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.Top How To remove Babylon toolbar from Firefox:
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Babylon toolbar related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Enter “about:config” in URL bar and hit enter. This will open the settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset it. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab.
- If the settings revert and the scan with anti-malware programs is clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options-> General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
Top How to remove Babylon toolbar virus from Internet Explorer:
How to remove Babylon toolbar virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click Change search defaults.
- Remove the Babylon toolbar from the list.
How to remove Babylon toolbar from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons.
- Go through Toolbars and extensions. Remove everything related to Babylon hijacker and items you do not know that are made not by Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Oracle or Adobe.
- Select Search Providers.
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
- Close the Options.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Gear icon on the top right corner to open the Internet Explorer menu, select Internet options and choose General tab. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Apply.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Babylon toolbar, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Press on the Gear icon->Internet Options.
- Choose the Advanced tab and click on the Reset button.
- Select “Delete personal settings” checkbox and click on the Reset button.
- Click on the Close button on the confirmation box, then close your browser.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
Manual Babylon toolbar removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Babylon toolbar, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.