Babylon toolbar - How to remove?
What is Babylon toolbar?
Babylon is a set of language translation tools developed by Babylon LTD. They allow translating web content into other languages. These tools include Babylon toolbar which changes default search provider to search.babylon.com. The installation might include other toolbars too. This software is quite annoying by default.
Why we have decided to list Babylon toolbar as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUP)
- Babylon toolbar hijacks user searches by default. The search provider is changed without any reason related to providing better results, just for monetary gain. That is one of the reasons people call this software Babylon redirect virus.
- This toolbar does not uninstall fully. By default, it DOES NOT store previous search provider settings and thus you will have to reset them manually. It is malicious on itself.
- Babylon software is distributed with unrelated software that provides coupon deals and similar. It might also be distributed by other questionable software in so called software bundles.
- We have seen cases when visitors claim having Babylon redirects without installing software themselves, thus we assume that it might be distributed by malware makers too in hopes to gain more money.
- Babylon is listed as PUP by several anti-malware vendors including Spyhunter and Spybot S&D.
While we do not list Babylon Toolbar as spyware, we still recommend uninstalling in the most cases. You should leave Babylon installed only if you have installed it by yourself. This is applied for almost all toolbars.
How to uninstall Babylon and stop the redirects
Babylon toolbar has uninstaller included in most of the cases. However, this might not be the case if it was installed by other toolbar or by some sort of fake Codec. Additionally, uninstaller does not restore default search provider, so you might be stuck with annoying search redirects.
Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional):
If your browser opens Babylon toolbar page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Babylon toolbar part from target field.
How To remove Babylon toolbar from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar
- Select Settings
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
How To remove Babylon toolbar from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove Babylon toolbar virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the Babylon toolbar from the list
How to remove Babylon toolbar from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
Automatic Babylon toolbar removal tools
Manual Babylon toolbar removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Babylon toolbar, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Babylon toolbar infected files and get help in Babylon toolbar removal by using Spyhunter scanner.