WebSearchy.com virus is one more browser hijacker targeting Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The program is promoted using free downloads that are available to download from the Internet. It can make changes in your browsers when you are downloading free music or video players, recording tools, PDF creators and similar applications from the Internet. If every time you are installing something new to your system you would choose custom installation and follow every step, you would see that some programs offer downloading additional tools or making some modifications in your browser settings. These are usually optional changes that you can refuse making. If you are ever offered to set your homepage to WebSearchy.com, you should never agree to do that.
If you found this page as your default search provider, that means your browser has already been hijacked. Remember that the program can affect several browsers at the same time, so when removing WebSearchy.com virus, you have to make sure it is eliminated from every single one. If you keep it on your computer, your searches will not be as relevant as they used to be. WebSearchy.com provides numerous sponsored websites at your search results and tries to redirect you to commercial pages too. It only seeks to promote specific pages of its partners instead of providing regular results.
Make sure you remove WebSearchy.com virus as soon as you notice it on your system. It is a useless website that will only bring you problems. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs list and uninstall anything related to WebSearchy.com from there. Some versions of this hijacker install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How to remove WebSearchy.com virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click on Change search defaults;
- Remove WebSearchy.com from the list.
How to remove WebSearchy.com virus from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How To remove WebSearchy.com virus from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove WebSearchy.com virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on the browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list;
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose ‘Open blank page’ (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too);
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.
Remove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional):
If your browser opens a WebSearchy.com page on a startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete WebSearchy.com part from the target field.
Automatic Malware removal tools