Torcho.com virus is a browser hijacker that can affect Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome when users are downloading free applications from the Internet. It can come bundled to a variety of programs that don’t even disclose about it. Once inside, the tool changes your browsing to the worse, making it impossible to look for the information on the Internet or visit your favorite websites.
The application replaces your homepage and search provider with Torcho.com without even asking for your permission. At first glance you cannot tell that this website is somehow related to the activity of cyber criminals. But once you try making a search using it, you will soon notice that the Torcho.com virus adds numerous sponsored websites to your search results not marking them any different. Some users have also noticed an excessive amount of ads while using this search provider. Torcho.com virus attempts to advertise various retailers online and build up traffic for their websites. Although it doesn’t necessarily mean it will try to take you to malicious pages, this can happen and then you will have more serious issues to deal with.
The best way to protect your browsers from being hijacked is by paying more attention to what you are installing to your system. Make sure you always read Terms and Agreements of your new downloads. They can reveal if the program will try to change any browser settings or add additional tools. Also choose advanced or custom installation in order to have control of optional settings. Never agree to change your homepage to unknown websites or install extra programs that are not familiar to you.
To remove Torcho.com virus, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs list and uninstall anything related to this domain from there. Some versions of this hijacker install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How to remove Torcho.com virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click Change search defaults;
- Remove Torcho.com from the list.
How to remove Torcho.com virus from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How to remove Torcho.com virus from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Torcho.com virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.
Automatic Malware removal tools