Rokku Ransomware is a devious infection that secretly infiltrates into random systems and initiates malicious processes. The program scans your files and choose which ones to encrypt. It uses RSA-3072 algorithm to do that. To decrypt these files, you will need to use a private key, which is obviously not that easy to get. In fact Rokku Ransomware will ask you to pay 0.2408 BTC, which is around 100 USD, to get it. This is clearly just a way to rip computer users off. You should know, that even after making a payment, it is not clear whether you will get this encryption key or not. Therefore, we do not recommend doing it.
At the moment, there is only one way to decrypt your files, which is from a backup copy of your hard drive. If you don’t have one, you may lose your files for good. We also recommend scanning your system with an anti-malware program, like Spyhunter or StopZilla. These programs can also protect your computer form similar ransomware attacks in future.
About Rokku Ransomware
The aim of Rokku Ransomware is to encrypt certain personal files found on victim’s computer and then make the user pay for the encryption key. This is one of the methods how cyber criminals make money. Usually, users receive a warning on the computer screen saying that your personal files have been encrypted using the strongest encryption key and that nobody will be able to unlock your files unless you purchase a private decryption key from them.
Rokku Ransomware also states that you have 12 hours to do it and if you don’t agree to pay, you will lose your files without any possibility to get them back. This is clearly just a manipulation to make you pay faster and win some time.
Distribution Methods of Rokku Ransomware
Rokku Ransomware is distributed with spam emails. Usually it imitates some financial document or other important file to make users open it. Once you open the attachment, Rokku Ransomware will infiltrate and start encryption of your files. You should be extremely careful with your spam emails and never open any attachments even if they look extremely important. Cyber criminal often use spam emails to distribute malicious programs.
If your system has already been affected, check out the guide provided below to learn how to remove Rokku Ransomware using system restore.
Rokku Ransomware quicklinks
- About Rokku Ransomware
- Distribution Methods of Rokku Ransomware
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- How to recover Rokku Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- 1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
- 2.Restore System files and settings.
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Rokku Ransomware encrypted files
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to recover Rokku Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before Rokku Ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of Rokku RansomwareAfter restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Spyhunter and remove all malicious files related to Rokku Ransomware. You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore Rokku Ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume CopiesIf you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually Rokku Ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so. Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer. a) Native Windows Previous Versions Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Rokku Ransomware encrypted filesThere are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download a data recovery program.
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.