Record Checker App is a browser add-on which is listed as an adware due to malicious behaviour and can be detected by most anti-malware programs as a possible threat. It is capable to operate on all most popular web browsers including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Designers of this software (Gen Technologies Apps) promise to enhance users’ browsing experience by providing them with valuable reports. What users get instead of reports is annoying and even harmful ads which can be displayed in all kind of formats including search engine text ads, coupon ads, and full-screen pop-up ads. This is why this app is listed as a PUP (potentially unwanted program).
In addition to ads, which will interfere your web browsing, Record Checker App will also spy your computer. This adware will collect personal data like IP addresses, unique identifier numbers, operating systems, browsers and other software information, webpage URLs visited, and search queries entered.
A lot of Internet users think that this program is a virus because they do not recognise it and do not remember installing it. However, it is not a virus and if you don’t remember installing Record App Checker on your computer this means it came bundled with other program. It is the most common distribution method since it can be either downloaded from an official website or bundled with other free software that can be found on the Internet. If you want to avoid this app on your computer, try to not download and install software from suspicious looking websites. You need to be very attentive during installation of such a software if you do not want Record Checker App or similar adware installed on you PC. Always opt out for a custom or advanced install mode and do not skip any steps. If installation wizards states that additional software that you are not aware of will be installed – do not agree with it. If it is too late and your computer is already infected, try to scan it with a trustworthy anti-malware program like Spyhunter or malwarebytes in order to detect and delete it. If you feel like doing it by yourself, just follow our step-by-step removal guide and get rid of Record Checker App manually.
Using Control Panel to remove the main Record Checker App components and installers
- Go to Control Panel. On Windows XP/Vista/7 open Start -> Control Panel , Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall . On Windows 8 enter Control Panel in the search box, then look for Uninstall a program. You may need to confirm that you are the administrator on this PC, in both cases.
- Look for Record Checker App and /or similar looking items on the list of programs. By default, I recommend removing Yontoo, WebCake, anything “savings” or “coupon” related. Scanning with Anti-Malware programs like Spyhunter or Stopzilla might give a good idea of what programs you should remove from there as well.
- Close Control Panel.
Removing Record Checker App from Internet Explorer
- Press Wench icon->Manage Add-ons.
- Go through Toolbars and extensions. Remove everything related to Record Checker App and items you do not know that are made not by Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Oracle or Adobe.
- Close the Options.
Removing Record Checker App from Firefox
- Enter about:addons in URL field.
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Record Checker App related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe probably you do not need it.
- Optionally, reset Firefox: go to Firefox ->Help (Help in menu for OSX users) -> Troubleshooting Information. Then Reset Firefox.
Removing Record Checker App from Chrome
- Enter chrome://extensions in url field.
- Go through extensions list and remove programs you do not need, especially similar to Record Checker App. If unsure, you can disable them temporarily.
- Restart Chrome.
- Optionally, you can enter chrome://settings in URL bar , press Advanced settings, scroll to the bottom of the list and press Reset browser settings.
Automatic Malware removal tools