Radamant ransomware is a malicious application that comes from the same family as .vvv extension virus, TeslaCrypt and some other latest ransomware. Just like its predecessors, the program is distributed with spam emails, as a PDF or Microsoft Word file attachment. Once installed, Radamant ransomware encrypts your files and asks for a ransom of .5 BTC (Bitcoin) which is more that $200, if you want to get your files back.
Unfortunately, even if you pay the ransom, there are no guarantees that you will regain control over your data. If you have you files backed up, it is much better to restore them from there. Then you must remove Radamant ransomware from your computer.
About Radamant ransomware
If you have opened a malicious email, Radamant ransomware kit will infect your system and save it in %Temp% folder as a .tmp file. Then it will scan your drives and look for files to encrypt. The encryption is performed using AES-256 algorithm. Extensions of all encrypted files will be changed to .RDM and you will receive a warning saying that your files are at risk. Here is what is says:
Attention! What happened?
All your files on hard drives, removable media and network shares have been cryptographically encrypted AES-256 algorithm encryption key RSA-2048
Expansion of encrypted files : RDM
To date, the encryption algorithm AES-256 is not possible decrypt.
Learn more about the algorithm can be here: Wikipedia
What to do?
The key to decrypt your files stored on our server. For decrypt the nedd to make a few simple steps:
1. Create Bitcoin Wallet
We recommend: blockchain.info
2. Get crypto currency Bitcoin
1) localbitcoins.com – (Visa/MasterCard, QIWI Visa Wallet, Any Bank and etc.)
2) btc-e.com (WebMoney, Visa/MasterCard and etc.)
3. Send 0.5 BTC to the address
Attention! When sending a small amount bitcoin of the transaction will not be counted!
4. After payment confirmation expected transaction from 15 minutes to 72 hours
5. After payment of this page will automatically notify you of the beginning of the decryption of files
We strongly recommend not do disconnect the power supply, as well as to extract the encrypted electronic data carriers!
If you remove the removable media before decryption, connect them again and confirm “RESCAN”.
After performing these actions will remove the program from your computer.
As you see, Radamant ransomware expects you to make a payment and them you should be able to get your files back. However, there are no guarantees for that. Additionally, the program deletes all volume shadow copies, so you would not be able to recover your files manually. The best way to get your files back, is restoring them from a backup.
How to avoid Radamant ransomware
As already mentioned, Radamant ransomware usually enters your system if you open an attachment of spam email. It can also infect you while you are browsing the Internet. We highly recommend installing a reliable anti-malware program, like Spyhunter or StopZilla and keep them updated. Make sure you also don’t visit suspicious websites and obviously stay away from opening spam emails or emails from unknown senders. Radamant ransomware often try to mislead users by sending emails that supposedly contain some important documents, so be careful what you open, even if it looks like legitimate.
Check out the guide below how to remove Radamant ransomware.
Radamant decrypter is available here.
Radamant Ransomware quicklinks
- About Radamant ransomware
- How to avoid Radamant ransomware
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- How to recover Radamant ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- 1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
- 2.Restore System files and settings.
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Radamant ransomware encrypted files
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to recover Radamant ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before Radamant ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of Radamant ransomwareAfter restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Spyhunter and remove all malicious files related to Radamant ransomware. You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore Radamant ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume CopiesIf you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually Radamant ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so. Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer. a) Native Windows Previous Versions Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Radamant ransomware encrypted filesThere are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download a data recovery program.
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.