Ransomware infection can be described as this – it takes your personal files as a hostage by encrypting them and if you want to get them back, you will be asked to pay a certain amount of money. Even though PewCrypt computer infection is categorized as ransomware, it is not typical at all. It looks like cyber criminals behind this virus are just having fun by doing this, as they do not demand any money to be paid.
Pewcrypt Ransomware quicklinks
- PewCrypt Features
- How To Solve PewCrypt Virus Problem
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- How to recover PewCrypt Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- 1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
- 2.Restore System files and settings.
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover PewCrypt Ransomware encrypted files
However, the virus is still dangerous, because it can actually lock your files by encrypting them, so it’s no joke if you are a victim. It might be even worse – victims of regular ransomware viruses have the choice to pay the ransom (even though we do not recommend to do that) and get their files back. In this case, this option is eliminated, so the only thing you can do to make this situation better – remove the virus and use other methods to get your files back.
In case you have no idea where to start and how this problem should be solved, we are here to help you. Please continue reading and learn how to completely eliminate PewCrypt and retrieve what legally belongs to you. Also, feel free to ask questions in the comments section below – we will be more than happy to answer them back.
You might already guess that PewCrypt virus has something to do with the most popular youtuber on earth – PewDiePie. In fact, it is dedicated to the ongoing subscribers ’battle. So instead of asking for money as a ransom, PewCrypt will ask you to subscribe to the PewDiePie Youtube channel. Unfortunately, your files won’t be decrypted after that – it would be too easy. The only option you got is to subscribe and wait until PewDiePie reaches 100M subscribers -then the decryption key should be announced publicly (at least that’s what cyber criminals claim). That means you have no control in your hands. Also, if T-Series channel is first to reach 100M mark, your files will remain encrypted for good.
Once PewCrypt finds a way to your computer, it will run a full scan of all personal files stored on your computer and encrypt them using either AES 256 or RSA 0048 encryption algorithm. After that, all encrypted files will be marked with “.PewEncrypt” extension at the end. Also, you will get a chance to read a ransom note that goes like this:
Your Files Have Been Encrypted
Pewdiepie Sub Count: 87349078
T-Series Sub Count: 87202517
Your files have been encrypted using a 256 bit AES key which has been encrypted with a 2048 bit RSA key
In order to get your files back read the instructions bellow
– Subscribe to Pewdiepie (Hint: Hit the bro fist)
– Wait until Pewdiepie reaches 100 million subs at which point a decryption tool will be realseaed
If T-Series beats Pewdiepie THE PRIVATE KEY WILL BE DELETED AND YOU FILES GONE FOREVER!
As we have already mentioned, this ransomware infection is not similar to other viruses of this type. We have analyzed ransomware infections like AYE ransomware or Seed Locker and they always demand payment as a ransom and usually the payment is required to be made in Bitcoins. Nonetheless, PewCrypt is not less dangerous, because it can lock your files the same as “normal” ransomware.
How To Solve PewCrypt Virus Problem
First of all, you should get yourself a trustworthy anti-malware tool, such as Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Either one of those AM programs should have no problems detecting and removing PewCrypt virus automatically.
Unfortunately, removing the infection itself is not enough – your files will still remain locked. To get them back, you should perform a system restore. If this is not helpful, please follow the instructions provided below or ask us a question in the comments section below.
Automatic Malware removal tools
How to recover PewCrypt Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before PewCrypt Ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of PewCrypt RansomwareAfter restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Spyhunter and remove all malicious files related to PewCrypt Ransomware. You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore PewCrypt Ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume CopiesIf you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually PewCrypt Ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so. Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer. a) Native Windows Previous Versions Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover PewCrypt Ransomware encrypted filesThere are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download a data recovery program.
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.